Dr. Abid Hussain Shahzad
DVM (UVAS) M. Phil, Ph.D. (Theriogenology)
Associate Professor/Internship Coordinator
Phone: +92 (47) 7671 260 (Ext) 151|
Mobile #: +92 300 457 9734
Dr. Abid Hussain SHAHZAD, Ph.D., is a veterinarian working as an Associate Professor at the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Jhang (Sub-campus of UVAS, Lahore). He graduated from UVAS in 2005, obtained M. Phil degree in 2008, and secured Ph.D. from the same University. He was appointed as a lecturer in theriogenology in 2007. He has presently more than 20 research papers on his credit in national and international journals and more than 15 presentations in conferences/symposia/seminars etc. His M. Phil work was published in “Theriogenology” journal and Ph.D. research was published in Journal of Dairy Science, South African Journal of Animal Science and Pakistan Journal of Zoology. He was awarded an indigenous fellowship by Higher Education Commission, Islamabad for Ph.D. He is also the recipient of IRSIP (International Research Initiative Support Program) and spent six months in the lab of Prof. Dr. Bill Silvia (late) at the University of Kentucky, Lexington-USA. He is also an awardee of the TUBITAK-2216 fellowship offered by the Turkish Government. He has vast international exposure and visited several countries to participate in trainings/seminars etc. including the USA, Canada, The Netherlands, Spain, France, Italy, Georgia and Turkey. He is presently a member of many professional societies. His ambition is to be a fellow of ECAR.
Areas of Interest:
- Bovine reproductive Physiology.
- Postpartum reproductive management using IRM.
- Diagnostic Ultrasonography.
- Early Pregnancy Diagnosis by modern tools.
- Ijaz, A., A. Hussain, M. Aleem, M.S. Yousaf, and H. Rehman. 2009. Butylated hydroxytoluene inclusion in semen extender improves the post-thawed semen quality of Nili-Ravi buffalo (Bubalusbubalis). Theriogenology, 71:1326-1329.
- Cheema AH, A Shakoor and AH Shahzad, 2010. Congenital goitre in goats. Pakistan Vet. J., 30(1): 58-60.
- M.U. Sohail, A. Ijaz, M. Younus, M.Z. Shabbir, Z. Kamran, S. Ahmad, H. Anwar, M.S. Yousaf,K. Ashraf, A.H. Shahzad and H. Rehman. 2013. Effect of supplementation of mannan-oligosaccharide and probiotic on growth performance, relative weights of viscera and population of selected intestinal bacteria in cyclic heat-stressed broilers. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 22: 485-491.
- M.H.H.B. Asad, D.E. Sabih, B.A. Chaudhory, I. Ahmad, M.S. Hussain, N. Izhar, N. Akmal, A.H. Shahzad and I. Hussain.. ANTI-HEMOLYTIC (ANTI-VENOM) ACTIVITY OF PAKISTANI MEDICINAL PLANTS UPON NAJA NAJA KARACHIENSIS VENOM INDUCED HEMOLYSIS. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 24(6): 2014, Page: 1701-1708.
- Bradley C. Lawson, Abid Hussain Shahzad, Karmella A. Dolecheck, Edmond L. Martel, Katherine A. Velek, Denise L. Ray, John C. Lawrence and William J. Silvia. 2014. A pregnancy detection assay using milk samples: Evaluation and application. J. Dairy Sci. 97: 6316-6325.
- Z. Iqbal, A. Ijaz, M. Aleem, A.H. Shahzad, M.U. Sohail, D. NAK, Y. NAK and S. Abbas. Effect of butylated hydroxytoluene on post-thawed semen quality of Beetal goat buck (Capra hircus). Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 47(1), pp. 119-124, 2015.
- D. NAK, T. GULTEN, M. KARKUCAK, R. YILMAZ, Y. NAK, G. SIMSEK, A.H. SHAHZAD. 2015. SRY-negative XX sex reversal in an English Cocker Spaniel: a case report Veterinarni Medicina, 60, (3): 170-73.
- M.U. Sohail, A. H. Shahzad, S. Iqbal, M.Z. Shabbir, Z. Iqbal, S. Abbas, M. Younus, D. NAK, Y. NAK, T. Arshaad. 2015. Ascorbic acid inclusion in semen extender improves the post-thawed semen quality of Sahiwal cattle (Bos indicus). Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 47(6), pp. 1571-1577.
- D. Nak, N. Celımlı, E. Karakaya, H. Kurt, A.H. Shahzad, M. Akbala, B. Guner. Diaphragmatic hernia of gravid uterus and right sided displacement of heart in a domestic short-haired Cat. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 26(2): 2016, Page: 552-555.
- Hafiz Muhammad Qasim, Muhammad Avais, Aneela Zameer Durrani, Muhammad Arif Khan and Abid Hussain Shahzad. 2016. Dynamic Dispersal of Haemonchosis, its Treatment and Effect on Blood Profile of Small Ruminants of Lodhran District, Punjab, Pakistan. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 48(4), pp. 755-761.
- Abid Hussain Shahzad, Ali Abbas, Raafia Safdar Baloch, Iahtasham Khan, Shaista Abbas. 2018. Evaluation of G7G-Ovsynch protocol with or without heat detection and milk PAGs as non-invasive pregnancy diagnosis method. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 101, Suppl. 2:153.
- A. H. Shahzad, A. Sattar, A. Husnain, I. Ahmad, N. Ahmad, D.NAK, Y. NAK. 2019. Synchronization and resynchronization as a novel approach for improving reproductive performance of postpartum dairy cows. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 51(2), pp. 511-520.
- A. H. Shahzad, A. Sattar, N. Ahmad, I. Ahmad, D. NAK, Y. NAK. 2019. Evaluation of Ovsynch and CIDR+Ovsynch protocols to improve reproductive efficiency in lactating dairy cows. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 51(5), pp. 1607-1614.
- Shaista Abbas, Imtiaz Rabbani, Hafsa Zaneb, M. Shahbaz Yousaf, Saima Ashraf, Abid Hussain Shahzad, M. Afzal Rashid and Habib Rehman. 2020. Effect of live yeast supplementation on dry matter intake, body condition score, body weight, and serum health biomarkers of Beetal goats during the transition period. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 52(5), pp 1883-1893.
- S. Abbas, M. A. Rashid, M. S. Yousaf, S. Ashraf, I. Rabbani, H. Zaneb, S.K. Tahir, A. H. Shahzad, H. Rehman. 2020. Effect of maternal yeast feeding on Dam performance and serum health biomarkers of Beetal goat kids. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 50(2): 282-290.
- Ziaullah, Hira Anjum, Abid Hussain Shahzad. 2020. Rectourethral fistula and Atresia Ani in a day old Rottweiler Puppy - A Case report. Res. J. Vet. Pract. 8(2): 20-22.
- S. Abbas, M.S. Yousaf, I. Ahmad, H. Rehman, A.K. Mahmood, S. Ashraf, R.S. Blouch, A.H. Shahzad, Y. Nak, D. Nak. 2020. Evaluation of serum analytes in pregnant and non-pregnant dairy cows as pregnancy marker. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 50(5): 766-772.
- A. H. Shahzad, A. Sattar, N. Ahmad, I. Ahmad, M.S. Yousaf, S. Abbas, R.S. Blouch, D. NAK, Y. NAK, D. L. Ray, W.J. Silvia (late). 2020. Evaluation of synchronization protocols and early pregnancy diagnosis methods in dairy cattle. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 50(6): 793-799.
- Fikriye Ecem KURUOGLU, Musa Ozgur OZYIGIT, Deniz NAK, Zehra AVCI KUPELI, Zeynep Merve EKICI, Davut KOCA, Talha AVCILAR, Mustafa Eren SAHIN, Yavuz NAK, Abid Hussain SHAHZAD. 2020. Efficacy and Toxicity of Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide for the Neoadjuvant Treatment of Locally Advanced Stage Canine Mammary Tumors. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg. 26 (6): 729-734.
- D. NAK, Y. NAK, A. H. Shahzad. 2020. Pregnancy Toxemia in a Golden Retriever Bitch - a case report. Adv. Anim. Vet. Sci. 8(11): 1184-1187.
- Mubbashar Hassan, Sana Shahid, Akhtar Rasool Asif, Muhammad Ilyas Naveed, Abid Hussain Shahzad and Mumtaz Ali Khan. 2020. Partial fetotomy: technique to resolve wry neck dystocia in mare. J. Anim. Reprod. Biotechnol. 2020; 35:366-369.
- EMSAL SINEM ÖZDEMİR SALCI, ABID HUSSAIN SHAHZAD. 2021. Fetal retention due to unilateral partial uterine horn torsion in an ewe. Large Animal Review. (Accepted).
- Hussain A, Ijaz A, Aleem M, Yousaf MS, PashaTN (2008) Butylated hydroxytolune inclusion in semen extender improves the post-thawed semen quality of Nili-Ravi buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Proc 10th World Conf Anim Production pp. 63. Nov 23-28, Cape Town, South Africa.
- COMMON DISEASED CONDITIONS AND MANAGEMENTAL PRACTICES OF DONKEYS IN D.G.KHAN.SAYYAD AUN MUHAMMAD, ABDUL SHAKOOR, M. SALEEM AKHTAR, M.ZAHID FAROOQ, M. KASHIF, ABID HUSSAIN SHAHZAD AND M. SAJID. College of veterinary and animal sciences, Jhang (SAM, AS, MZF, MK, AHS, MS), AND Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Islamia University, Bahawalpur (MSA). Published in 30th Pakistan Congress of Zoology.
- A. Shakoor, S. A. Muhammad, G. Muhammad, A. H. Shahzad, M. Kashif, T. Ismail, H. Ali. 2010. Caesarean section in ewe on account of uterine torsion and rupture. Proceedings, National conference on utilization of Modern agriculture technology in changing environmental perspective, Rawalakot Uni, July-21-23, 2010.
- CLINICAL MANAGEMENT OF RECTAL PROLAPSE ASSOCIATED WITH PYOMETRA AND USE OF ESTROGENIC COMPOUNDS ON NON-DESCRIPT BUFFALO. SAYYAD AUN MUHAMMAD, ABDUL SHAKOOR, M. SALEEM AKHTAR, M.ZAHID FAROOQ, M. KASHIF, ABID HUSSAIN SHAHZAD AND M. SAJID. College of veterinary and animal sciences, Jhang, (SAM, AS, MZF, MK, AHS, MS) AND Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Is lamia University, Bahawalpur (MSA). Published in 30th Pakistan Congress of Zoology.
- A Case of Uterine adenocarcinoma, Fibroma and Pyometra in a Cat (2014) Volkan İPEK, Deniz NAK, Ebru KARAKAYA, Abid Hussain SHAHZAD.
- Abid Hussain Shahzad, Abdul Sattar. Nasim Ahmad, Ijaz Ahmad, Deniz Nak, Yavuz Nak. 2015. Evaluation of Ovsynch and CIDR inserted concurrently with or two days after initiation of Ovsynch protocol to improve reproductive performance in lactating dairy cows with low estrus detection efficiency. J. Dairy Sci. 07/2015; 98 (Suppl. 2):874.
- A.H. Shahzad, A. Sattar, I, Ahmad, A. Y. Qamar, N. Ahmad. 2016. Evaluation of different Synchronization and early pregnancy diagnoses methods in postpartum Holstein cows. Journal of Animal Science 94: 604.
- Abid Hussain SHAHZAD, Ali ABBAS, Shaista ABBAS, Irem Anwar, Raafia Safdar. 2019. Progesterone-based synchronization following Quick-resynch protocol improves cumulative pregnancy rate in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 102 (Suppl. 1): 421.
- Abid Hussain SHAHZAD, Shaista Abbas, Iahtisham Khan, raafia safdar, Ali Abbas, Ali Murtaza. 2019. Comparison of different presynch-based synchronization protocols in postpartum dairy cattle. Journal of Animal Science, Volume 97, Issue Supplement_3, Page 152.
Research, Scientific Trainings:
- Completed Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) training by AALAS Learning Library, USA.
- Completed Occupational Health Training, University of Kentucky, USA.
- Approved MSF for Bovine and Equine research by University Health Service (UHS), University of Kentucky, USA.
- Completed 6 months (July 2013-Dec. 2013) research training under HEC, Islamabad IRSIP at the University of Kentucky, Lexington USA (in the laboratory of Prof. William J. Silvia).
- Selected and completed one year (Dec. 2013-Nov. 2014) research training at Veterinary Faculty, Uludag University, Bursa-Turkey under TUBITAK-2216 research fellowship as a part of the Ph.D. thesis (in the laboratory of Prof. Deniz NAK).
- National Training Workshop on Equine Reproduction 1st–7th February 2007, Department of Theriogenology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Veterinary and Animal Science, Lahore, Pakistan (with Collaboration of HEC, Islamabad, Remount Depot Mona and Washington State University, USA).
- National Training Workshop on Cryopreservation of Bovine Semen 12-13 May 2008, Semen Production Unit Qadirabad (with Collaboration of University of Veterinary and Animal Science, Lahore).
- Participated in Annual meeting of Society for Theriogenology (7-8 Aug 2013) Louisville, USA.
- Participated in 13th International Dairy Expo (1-5 October, 2013) Wisconsin-Madison, USA.
- Visited IDEXX Labs Westbrook, MN, USA (November, 6-7, 2013).
- Participated in 62nd International Veterinary Students Association (IVSA) Symposium January 2-10, 2014, Ankara -Turkey.
- Participated in 3rd Herd Health and Management Symposium, Cornelia De Luxe Resort (6-9 November 2014) Antalya-Turkey.
- Participated in “International Symposium on Dairy Animal Reproduction (ISDAR-2015)” 30-31 March 2015 at UVAS, Lahore.
- Participated in ADSA-ASAS joint Annual meeting 2015 at Rosen Shingle Creek, Universal Boulevard, Orlando, USA, 12-16 July 2015.
- 8th International Conference on Farm Animal Endocrinology (ICFAE), Billund Denmark, August 27-29, 2015 (virtual webinar).
- Participated in 32nd World Veterinary Congress at Lutfi kirdar Congress and Exhibition Center (ICEC), Istanbul, Turkey, September 13-17, 2015.
- 16th ICPD2016 (International Conference on Production Diseases in Farm Animals Wageningen, The Netherlands” June 20–23, 2016, at Hotel de Wageningen Berg, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- American Dairy Science Association) ADSA®- ASAS (American Society of Animal Science) - Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS), Joint Annual Meeting (JAM2016)” July 19–23, 2016, at Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Sustainable Food Production through Livestock Health Management. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- The Horse Course: Introduction to Basic Care and Management. The University of Florida.
- Participated and presented oral presentation in ASAS-CSAS annual meeting and trade show at Baltimore Convention Center, MD, USA.
- Participated and presented oral presentation in 34th World Veterinary Association Congress, Barcelona-Spain, May 05–08, 2018, held at CCIB – Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona Plaça de Willy Brandt, 11-14, 08019 Barcelona, Spain.
- Participated and presented oral presentation in American Dairy Science Association (ADSA) Annual Meeting June 24–27, 2018, held at the Knoxville Convention Center, TN, USA
- Completed 10-days training under the supervision of Skip Blacke, Globally renowned hoof trimmer, from June 27th - July 6th, 2018 in Baraboo, WI, USA.
- Participated and presented oral presentation in 2018 Joint WCAP/ASAS-CSAS Annual Meeting, July 05-12, 2018, held at Vancouver Convention Center, BC, Canada.
- Participated in 2019 ADSA Annual Meeting scheduled to be held in Cincinnati, OH, the USA from June 23-26 at Duke Energy Convention Center, 525 Elm St, Cincinnati, OH 45202, USA.
- Participated and presented oral presentation in ASAS-CSAS Annual Meeting and trade show 2019, July 08-11, 2019, held at Austin Convention Center, TX, USA.
- Completed 2 weeks (June 27-July 12, 2019) shadowing training at South Park Animal Hospital - 615 W Slaughter Lane, Street # 121, Austin, TX-78748.
- Completed one week (September 12-19, 2019) training in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Uludag University, Bursa-Turkey
- Completed one-month training on “Dairy & Farm Management” October 14th – November 8th, 2019 organized by IVPD, UVAS, Lahore.
- Completed International workshop on “Small Animal Internal Medicine” November 8th -9th organized by IVPD, UVAS, Lahore.
- Completed “Comparative reproductive biotechnologies” 2.0 ETCS. 9th - 13th of November 2020. Centre for reproductive biology (CRU), SLU, Uppsala-Sweden.
- Completed “Cryobiology in assisted reproductive technology” 23rd – 27th November 2020. Karolinska Institutet, BioNut KI- NOVUM, Sweden.