About the Department
Genetic variation in animals is the base for our activities at the Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics. We work with farm animals, companion animals and many other kinds animals. Within research, education and collaboration with industry and other stakeholders, we strive for a sustainable use of animal genetic resources. The department of Animal Breeding and Genetics is actively engaged in imparting education and hands on training in the fields of molecular genetics, quantitative genetics, genomics and various related aspects of various species of animals and birds. The department offers courses on breeding and genetics at undergraduate (D.V.M., B.S. (Hons) Poultry Science, B.S. (Hons) Dairy Technology and post graduate level (M. Phil. & Ph.D.). The department offers postgraduate degree programs i.e. M. Phil. and Ph.D. in Animal Breeding and Genetics and M. Phil. and Ph.D. in Genetics.
The department of Animal Breeding and Genetics is committed to educate the students and produce professionals equipped with latest knowledge and skills of different branches of Animal Breeding, Genetics and Genomics. We as a team aspire to the discovery, development, and application of genetic knowledge of animal species. We also determined to address the concerns and needs of industry by applying animal breeding, genetics and genomics techniques to enhance the productive performance, health and sustainability of animals and also to improve the quality and acceptability of animal products by consumers.
We, as a team, aspire to the premier source of:
- Basic knowledge of animal breeding, genetics and genomics
- Professionally trained individuals in animal breeding, genetics and genomics field
- Providing assistance to producers and consumers
- Information to support the contributions of animals to society
- Knowledge of sustainable and ecofriendly animal breeding and genetics
We will achieve the vision through interactive learning, and client-focused engagement with students, animal breeders and professionals.
The department of Animal Breeding and Genetics will fulfill its mission by:
- Selecting and maintaining the nation’s leading animal breeding, genetics and genomics team.
- To develop and secure financial resources for research and teaching in the field of animal breeding, genetics and genomics.
- Using research to discover knowledge useful for genetic improvement of animals.
- Providing national and international leadership by cooperating with animal industries to develop and enhance economically sound genetic improvement programs.
- The research carried out in the department has paved a long way in determining the genetic potential of various livestock breeds and devising tools for developing breeding plans. Facilities include a Molecular Genetics Laboratory and a Biometrical Genetics Laboratory. The labs are equipped with latest modern equipment. Previously a dairy Cattle Crossbreeding farm was also maintained by this department along with a square of agricultural land for producing fodder for the crossbred animals. This and other animal farms are now under a common management called Directorate of Farms.
- The department has produced highly trained manpower to take care of country’s demand for trained manpower in the emerging technologies in animal breeding and genetic engineering. The international obligations such as convention on biological diversity and global plan of action for animal genetic resources require that trained personal be made available to harvest developments in the emerging technologies. Investment in human resources has already been identified by Higher Education Commission as the only sustainable way of building knowledge-based economy of this country and science of genetics is likely to be a leading science among the list.
- Describe the steps that need to be taken when setting up a breeding program.
- Describe how selection and genomic tools can be used to alleviate the effect of monogenic recessive diseases.
- Calculate family relationships and inbreeding coefficients in pedigrees and predict the rate of inbreeding for simple situations.
- Explain how family relationships between individuals can be used to estimate breeding values and describe the consequences of different selection and mating strategies for the response to selection.
- Describe how running breeding programs can be evaluated in terms of response to selection and genetic diversity.
- Describe how dissemination of improved animal populations to end-users takes place, and why this differs among animal species.
- Gain the tools and insights to improve production and work towards a healthy population.
Development work in the offices and laboratories is on-going.
- Cytogenetic and Molecular Genetics Labs have been established at Ravi campus
- Small Ruminant Training and Research Center established at Ravi Campus and providing training and research facilities to the undergraduate and post graduate students
- Establishment of Dairy Animals Training and Research Center at Ravi Campus.
- National conference on “Latest Trends in Livestock Genomics” at University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, June 24-25, 2009 was organized in collaboration with Dept. of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
- Molecular cytogenetics – An effective selection and diagnostic tool in livestock, equine and pets. 10-11 Nov, 2010.
- Institutional capacity building conference & workshop for genetic improvement and fertility enhancement in livestock through clinical cytogenetics. 10-11 Jan, 2012.
- Department also providing training and consultancy services to livestock farmers.
Dr. Atia Basheer
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics
Tel: 92 42 99211374, 92-42-99212865 (Off.) Ext. 5063
Where to find us
The Department of animal Breeding and Genetics is located in University of Veterinary and Animal Science (UVAS) at Ravi Campus, Pattoki (55300), Pakistan.
Visiting address: A-Block, UVAS, Ravi Campus, Pattoki, Pakistan.
Postal address: Department of animal Breeding and Genetics, University of Veterinary and Animal Science (UVAS) Ravi Campus, Pattoki (55300), Pakistan.
Phone number: Tel: 92 42 99211374, 92-42-99212865 (Off.) Ext. 5063