Dr. Arbab Sikandar
DVM, M. Phil, PhD (UVAS)
HEC approved PhD supervisor
Dr. Arbab Sikandar, working as an Assistant Professor in Department of Basic Sciences (Anatomy & Histology) at Sub-campus, Jhang, University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (UVAS), Lahore. He has more than 13 years of academic, administrative and research experience focusing on functional Anatomy and Histology. During this time, he held positions including Research Associate (2006), Teaching Assistant (2007), Lecturer (2007 to 2017) and Assistant Professor (2017 till date) at UVAS, Lahore. During his academic career, he was awarded with Governor Scholarship-KPK (for DVM), with Indigenous Scholarship from HEC- Pakistan (for PhD) and Mevlana Exchange Program-Turkey (split Ph.D.).
Dr. Sikandar has published 19 research articles in national and international peer reviewed journals, 02 book chapters, 21 proceedings in international and national conferences, and 07 popular articles. He completed 10 relevant courses and participated in more than 45 training workshops. Dr. Sikandar is a member of professional societies like Registered Veterinary Medical Practitioner (life member), Registered Veterinary Medical Faculty, Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council and Life member of the University of Veterinary, Animal Sciences, Lahore, Alumni Association. He has been working as Incharge Security, member of Disciplinary committee, member of POL consumption assessment committee, Incharge watch and ward, member of Qirrat & Naat Society, member of Auction committee, member of Equipment purchase committee, member of the Technical committee and member of the committee constituted for the Initiation of BS- (Hons.) Biological Sciences. Dr. Sikandar has worked as Hostel Superintendent and Associate Hostel Warden and has been a member of House Allotment Committee (BS-16 and above, 2018). Beside this he is working as a member/Secretory of Ethics committee, member of the QEC committee, member of Board of studies of Department of Basic Sciences, Convener Proctorial Board, DVM class-Advisor of session 2017-2022 and Assistant Director Sports.
Area of Interest
His area of interest includes Anatomy & Histology and Histopathology of Gut and Immune system.
Teaching (DVM, BS-Biological Sciences, BS-Microbiology, Associate Degree, and Diploma Courses), Research and Administration
- Arbab Sikandar (2018)"Histopathology an Old yet Important Technique in Modern Science" (chapter in the book "Histopathology - An Update", ISBN 978-953-51-5786-1).
- Arbab Sikandar, Shahzaib and Naeem Ullah (2019). Microarchitecture of the Thymus Gland; Its Age and Disease-Associated Morphological Alterations, and Possible Means to Prolong Its Physiological Activity" (published in book "Thymus”, ISBN: "Thymus," 978-1-78985-134-2).
- Sikandar A, AH Cheema, M Younus, A Aslam, MA Zaman and T Rehman, (2012). Histopathological and Serological Studies on Paratuberculosis in Cattle and Buffaloes. Pak Vet J 4: 547-551. (IF 1.365)
- Sikandar A, AH Cheema, M Younus and H Zaneb, (2012). Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis multibacillary infection (Johne’s disease) in at Teddy Goat. Pak Vet J, 33(2): 260-262. (IF: 1.365).
- Arbab Sikandar, A.H. Cheema, M. Adil, M. Younus, H. Zaneb, A. Zaman, M.Y.Tipu, S.Masood (2013). “Ovine Paratuberculosis-A histopathological study from Pakistan”. (The J. Anim. Plant Sci. 23(3):749-753 (I.F 0.638).
- Khan MN, TU Rehman, MS Sajid, RZ Abbas, MA Zaman, A Sikandar and M Riaz, (2013). Determinants influencing prevalence of coccidiosis in Pakistani buffaloes. Pak Vet J, 33(3): 287-290 (I.F 1.392).
- Muhammad Arfan Zaman, Muhammad Sajid, Arbab Sikandar, Tauseef-ur-Rehman, Mian Muhammad Awais (2014). Point prevalence of gastrointestinal helminths and their association with sex and age of the buffaloes in lower Punjab, Pakistan. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 16: 1229-1231 (IF 0.902).
- Arbab Sikandar, Muhammad Adil, Abdur Rahman Ansari, Amar Nasir, Touseef Ur Rehman, Muhammad Raza hameed and Ishtiaq Ahmad (2014). Histological evaluation of the gut of Nili-Ravi Buffaloes for diagnosing paratuberculosis. Buffalo Bulletin 33(4).370-375. (IF 0.060)
- Rehman T., M.N. Khan, R.Z. Abbas, W. Babar, A. Sikandar and M.A. Zaman (2016). Serological and coprological analyses for the diagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infections in bovine hosts from Sargodha, Pakistan. Journal of Helminthology,90,4; 494-502. (IF 1.420).
- A. Sikandar, H. Zaneb, M. Younus, S. Masood, A. Aslam, M. Shah & H. Rehman (2017). Growth performance, immune status and organs morphometry in broilers fed Bacillus subtilis-supplemented diet. South African Journal of Animal Science 2017, 47 (3), 378-388 (IF 0.981).
- S. Ashraf, H. Zaneb, S. Masood, M. S. Yousaf, M. M. Usman, H. F. Rehman, A. Sikandar & H. Rehman (2017). Influence of β-galacto-oligosaccharide on growth performance and components of intestinal barrier in broilers during heat stress. South African Journal of Animal Science 2017, 47 (5), (IF 0.981).
- Arbab Sikandar, Hafsa Zaneb, Muhammad Younus, Saima Masood, Asim Aslam, Saima Ashraf, Muhammad Shahbaz Yousaf and Habib Rehman (2017). Effect of sodium butyrate on performance, immune status, microarchitecture of small intestinal mucosa and lymphoid organs in broiler chickens. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 30 (5): 690-699 (IF 1.243).
- Sikandar, A., H. Zaneb, M. Younus, S. Masood, A. Aslam, S. Ashraf, M. Adil and H. Rehman, 2017. Protective effect of sodium butyrate on growth performance, immune responses and gut mucosal morphometry in salmonella-challenged broiler chickens. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 19: 1387‒1393 (IF 0.869).
- Sikandar, A., H. Zaneb, M. Younus, S. Masood, A. Aslam, S. Ashraf, M. Adil and H. Rehman, 2017. Protective effect of sodium butyrate on growth performance, immune responses and gut mucosal morphometry in salmonella-challenged broiler chickens. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 19: 1387‒1393.
- Arbab Sikandar, Muhammad Adil, Hafsa Zaneb, Muhammad Arshad, Hafiz Muhammad Ali, Murad Ali Khan, Tauseef-ur-Rehman and Malik Ahsan Nadeem (2018). Concurrent Cerebral and Extra-Cerebral Caprine Coenurosis: A Case Report. Pak. J. Life Soc. Sci. 16(1): 55-58.
- Hazrat Nabi, Irshad Hussain, Muhammad Adil, Amar Nasir, Arbab Sikandar, Saeed Khan and Nasrullah Khan (2018). Impact Of Mycotoxin Binders On Humoral Immunity, Lymphoid Organs And Growth Performance Of Broilers". Pakistan Journal of Zoology. Pakistan J. Zool., 50;. 5, 1611-1618.
- Arbab Sikandar, Amar Nasir, Muhammad Adil, Noor Muhammad Khan, Aziz ur-Rehman. Effect of dietary lactobacillus-based probiotics on gut immune development in early weaned caprine kids .1st International Ruminant Nutrition Workshop 17-18, October 2019
- Arbab Sikandar, Hafsa Zaneb, Amar Nasir, Aziz ur-Rehman, Muhammad Sajid, Noor Muhammad Khan. Protective Effects Of Probiotics On Immune Responses And Histomorphology Of Gut In Salmonella-Challenged Broilers. 1st International Conference on “Agricultural and Biological Sciences” focusing Food Security and Climate Change organized by The University of Haripur, Pakistan on March 27-30, 2019.
- Aziz ur Rehman, M. Tariq Javed, M. Fiaz Qamar, Arbab Sikandar, M. Sohaib Aslam, M. Umar Farid, M. Faizan, Noor Muhammad Khan. Mycobacterium avium subspecies Paratuberculosis (MAP) and its relationship with Crohn’s disease (CD). “2nd International Conference, Future Med-2019 Organized by Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences at Sargodha Medical College, Sargodha on February 22-24,2019.
- A. Sikandar, A. Nasir, A. ur-Rehman, H. M. Ali, M. Shah, I. Khan, and N. M. Khan (2019). Histopathology: An Old Yet Important Technique to Diagnose Paratuberculosis in Non-Descript Water Buffaloes. J. Vet. Anim. Sciences, 6 (Suppl. 1), Proceedings of International Buffalo Congress, IBC-19 (Feb 18-20, 19), Lahore.
- Arbab Sikandar, Tauseef-ur-Rehman, Muhammad Adil, Amar Nasir, Abdur Rehman Ansari, Hafiz Muhammad Ali and Mazhar Abbas. Effect of sodium butyrate on growth performance and gut mucosal morphometry in Salmonella-challenged broiler chickens. “1st International Conference on Health & Environment” organized by AIOU, Islamabad, on March 21-22, 2018.
- Arbab Sikandar, Aziz Ur Rehman, Nofia Begum, Amar Nasir, Mazhar Abbas. Paratuberculosis- bare mucosa leads to granulomatous inflammation; a histological study. One Health International Conference (OHC-2017) organized by Department of Pathobiology, CVAS- Jhang on November 13-15, 2017.
- A. Sikandar, H. Zaneb, M. Younus, S. Masood, S. Ashraf, T. Rehman. Effect of Microencapsulated Sodium Butyrate on Growth performance and Small intestine morphology in Broilers. 3rd International Conference on Agriculture, Food and Animal Sciences (ICAFAS, January 10, 11, 2017), Sindh Agriculture University (SAU), Tandujam, Sindh- Pakistan.
- Arbab Sikandar, Hasa Zaneb, Muhammad Yuonus, Saima Muti, Saima Ashraf, Asim Aslam and Habib Rehman. Morphological changes in immune related organs, humoral and cell mediated immune response and intraepithelial lymphocytes evaluation of broiler chickens fed Bacillus subtilis of Zinc Bacitracin. The XXV World Poultry Congress (WPC-2016) September 5-9., Beijing China.
- Arbab Sikandar, Hasa Zaneb, Muhammad Yuonus, Saima Muti, Asim Aslam, Muhammad Shahbaz Yousaf and Habib Rehman. Effect of Dietary supplementation of Bacillus subtilis on the growth performance and intestinal microarchitecture in broiler chickens: a comparison to antibiotic effect. The XXV WPC-2016, Beijing, China.
- M. Abdul Qayyum, Arbab Sikandar, M. Adil, M. Arshad, Hafiz M. Saif ur Rehman, M. Arshad Javid & M. Tariq Iqbal. Comparative efficacy of two different methods used for the retrieval of oocytes from morphologically healthy ovaries of adult buffaloes. International Livestock, Dairy & poultry congress (ILDPC, pp-03), 14-15 April 2015, Expo center, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Arbab Sikandar, Muhammad Adil and Amar Nasir. A case report of caprine coenurosis from Jhang, Pakistan. 1st International Conference on Zoonoses, 16-17 October 2014, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan (ICZ-2014-25, page# 28).
- Arbab Sikandar, Muhammad Adil, Muhammad Arshad, Ikrama. Moringa olifiera A potential feed supplement for poultry industry. International Livestock, Dairy & poultry congress (ILDPC 31), 11-12 March 2014, Aiwan-e-Iqbal Complex, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Sikandar A., Ansari AR., Nasir A., Khan K & Rehman TU (2013). A histopathological report on multibacillary form of naturally occurring paratuberculosis infection in buffaloes. 2nd International Workshop on Dairy Science Park (November 18-20, 2013) Venue: The University of Agriculture, Peshawar-25120, Pakistan (AH-58) pp. 76-77(Reg. # 401).
- Ansari AR., Arbab Sikandar., Qamar AY & Akbar Z (2013). Morphometric evaluation of corpus luteum and ovary during estrous in Nili-ravi Buffalo through ultrasonography in spring and dry hot seasons. 2nd International Workshop on Dairy Science Park, Nov 18-20, 2013; University of Agriculture, Peshawar, Pakistan (RG-11) pp. 114
- Arbab Sikandar and Muhammad Adil “Histological Study of Gut of Nili-Ravi Buffaloes infected with Paratuberculosis”10th World Buffalo Congress and 7th Asian Buffaloes Congress, Phuket, Thailand, May 6-8,2013. (No. PPC0015).
- Younus, M., A. Sikandar, A.H. Cheema, A. Aslam & M.A. Zaman “Johne’s disease in Goats: A Histopathological and Serological Study” Proceedings of the 1st Asia Dairy Goat Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 9 - 12 April 2012 (Paper 38, Page # 177-178)
- Arbab Sikandar, M.Adil, M. Arfan Zaman, Zafar Iqbal, Touseef-ur-Rehman, M. Tariq Iqbal, M. Amin Jamal, Usman Zahid, Asim Shamim (2012). Presented a paper entitled “Comparative efficacy of intestinal and lymphnodes sample for Histopathologically based diagnosis of Johne’s disease in cattle” in National Science Conference Agriculture and Food Security Issues in Global Environmental Prospectives organized by the faculty of Agriculture, University of Poonch, Rawlakot on 11-13, July 2012 (Page#194).
- A. Sikandar, AH Cheema, M Younus, A Aslam, MA Zaman, T Rehman, Histopathological and Serological Studies on Paratuberculosis in Cattle and Buffaloes “International Workshop on Dairy Science Park” Nov 21-23, 2011, Agricultural University Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Goat meat a preferred protein source. Technology times, May 23, 2019.
- Effects of Honey in Diarrhea. April 19, AVN-11.
- Poultry industry and its headway in Pakistan. Technology Times. March 12, 2019.
- Status of subclinical and clinical ketosis and therapeutic options in dairy cows in tehsil Jhang. AVN, 25 (2) 2018.
- Availability of safe chicken product for the consumer is a global issue, published in Pakistan’s only newspaper on science and technology “weekly technology time “Islamabad, September 9th 2017.
- Effect of probiotics on commercial broilers, consumer health, published in “The Daily Business, Lahore” Saturday, April 22, 2017.
- ANIMAL RIGHTS IN ISLAM “Weekly SAARC International, Lahore, Pakistan” May 6-13, 2011.
- Participated in two days “Constructive alignment of Teaching Learning Context” organized by UVAS (RVC certificate candidates) on March 25-27, 2019.
- Two-day training of presiding officer for general election 19-20, 07, 2018 organized by election commission of Pakistan.
- Six-month Doctorate courses (VHEOD120 Thesis study and VHEOD121 Expertise Branch Course) in Department of Histology and Embryology, Graduate school of Health Sciences, AKU, Turkey during 2016.
- Two credit hour online course on “Advance Immunology” (October 1-28, 2015, organized by L.E.J. National Science Information Center, under Virtual Education Project., Pakistan (VEPP).
- One credit hour online course on “Molecular Physiology of Contractile Proteins” (August 10-24, 2015, organized by L.E.J. National Science Information Center, under VEPP.
- One Semester English Diploma scoring 74.40 % marks from National University of Modern Languages, Lahore Campus on 14 April 2015 under Registration November 2258-ED/LC/2014.
- Participated and Qualified the training of “Teachers Orientation Program, UVAS” held from 12-03-07 to 28- 03- 2007, Sr. No: 022.
- HEC approved Supervisor, 2019.
- Three-month Fellowship as principal candidate in Agriculture, EICA, Egypt, 2015.
- Six-month fellow of Mevlana Exchange Scholarship Program, 2016.
- HEC Pakistan indigenous, ‘PhD fellowship, 2012.
- Livestock and Dairy Development, NWFP (KPK) Governor merit DVM Scholarship from Kohat Division, 2001.