Dr. Mubarik Mahmood
PhD (Animal Nutrition) University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna
Section of Animal Nutrition, Department Animal Sciences, UVAS sub campus, Jhang
Dr. Mubarik Mahmood has been serving as Lecturer in Section of Animal Nutrition, Department of Animal Sciences, University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (UVAS), Lahore, Pakistan Sub campus, Jhang since 2013. He completed Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and M.Phil. (Animal Nutrition) degrees from UVAS, Lahore. He also holds PhD degree from Institute of Animal Nutrition and Functional Plant compounds, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna-Austria. During his PhD, he worked on in vitro assessment of efficacy of rumen un protected betaine on rumen microbiota and fermentation during ruminal hyper thermal and hyperosmotic stress conditions. He also worked in a number of other projects focusing on ruminal physiology and microbiology, and has expertise in assembling and conducting Rumen Simulation Technique (Rusitec). He has more than 8 years of experience in industry and academia. Dr. Mahmood has published his work in top quality journals of animal sciences and has presented his work in number of international events. He is the registered member of Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council and Nutritionists Association of Pakistan. He is engaged in teaching various courses of Animal Nutrition to undergraduate and postgraduate students. Through research activities, Dr. Mahmood tends to uplift the scientific knowledge in the field of Animal Nutrition for sustainable animal production.
Area of interest
- Gut health and ruminal fermentation pattern
- Rumen microbiology
- Rumen physiology
- Subacute Ruminal Acidosis
- Quail Nutrition-Effect of energy levels on performance of Japanese quail. Mubarik Mahmood, Muhammad Younus, Abdur Rahman. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Betaine modulates rumen archaea community and functioning during heat and osmotic stress conditions in vitro. Mubarik Mahmood, Ratchaneewan Khiaosa-ard, Qendrim Zebeli, and Renée M. Petri. Archaea. Impact factor 3.379
- Physicochemical stressors and mixed alkaloid supplementation modulate ruminal microbiota and fermentation in vitro. Ratchaneewan Khiaosa-ard, Mubarik Mahmood, Frederike Lerch, Franz-Pius Traintinger, Renée M Petri, Matthias Münnich, Qendrim Zebeli. Anaerobe. Impact factor 2.70
- Betaine addition as a potent ruminal fermentation modulator under hyperthermal and hyperosmotic conditions in vitro. Mubarik Mahmood, Renée Maxine Petri, Ana Gavrău, Qendrim Zebeli, Ratchaneewan Khiaosa‐ard. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. Impact factor 2.61
- Effect of dietary supplementation of different levels of Saccharomyces cerevisiae on growth performance and hematology in broilers. Kanwal Rafique, Abdur Rahman and Mubarik Mahmood. Indian Journal of Animal research 2018. Impact factor 0.14.
- Effect of Dietary Energy Levels on Growth Performance and Feed Cost Analysis in Japanese Quail. Mubarik Mahmood, Abdur Rahman, Saima, Muhammad Akram, Talat Naseer Pasha and Makhdoom Abdul Jabbar published in Pakistan Journal of Zoology 2014. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 46(5), pp. 1357-1362. Impact factor 0.40
- Effects of an alkaloid-containing feed additive on in vitro rumen microbiota during acidic and heat stressed conditions. Mahmood M, Khiaosa-ard R, Petri RM, Münnich M, Zebeli Q. 23rd Congress of the European Society of Veterinary and Comparitive Nutrition. ESVCN. 18-20 September 2019, Turin, Italy.
- Alkaloid-containing feed additive as rumen fermentation modulator in vitro. R. Khiaosa-ard, M. Mahmood, M. Munnich and Q. Zebeli. 70th Annual meeting of the European Federation of Animal Sciences EAAP, Ghent, Belgium 26-30 August 2019.
- In vitro disappearance of betaine by ruminal microbes under physiological, thermal-stressed and osmotic-stressed rumen conditions. M. Mahmood, R. Khiaosa-ard, F. Klevenhusen, A. Gavrău, Q. Zebeli. The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Nutritional Physiology 2019 in Göttingen, Germany 14 March 2019.
- Betaine as a rumen fermentation modulator during physiological, hyperthermal and hyperosmotic rumen conditions in vitro. R. Khiaosa-ard, M. Mahmood, F. Klevenhusen, A. Gavrău, Q. Zebeli. The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Nutritional Physiology 2019 in Göttingen, Germany 14 March 2019.
- Heat stress and hyperosmolarity impact rumen bacteria and fermentation in vitro. R. M. Petri, M. Mahmood, F. Klevenhusen, R. Khiaosa-ard, Q. Zebeli. The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Nutritional Physiology 2019 in Göttingen, Germany 14 March 2019.
- Effect of feeding glycerol on healthy and economical milk production in ruminants. Mubarik Mahmood, Saima, Kanwal Rafique, Abdur Rahman, Muhammad Zahid Farooq, Aftab Hussain. Published in International Livestock Nutrition Summit 21-22 February 2017 University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore.
Trainings and Courses (Attended)
- 23rd Congress of the European Society of Veterinary and Comparitive Nutrition. ESVCN. 18-20 September 2019, Turin, Italy.
- 50th International symposium on Essential Oils. University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna-Austria 11 September 2019.
- Symposium for Innovative gut health. University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna-Austria. 21 March 2019.
- The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Nutritional Physiology 2019 in Göttingen, Germany. 13– 15 March 2019.
- The 6th French German Summer School 'From feed to food: quality & safety in food production'. University of Veterinary medicine, Vienna-Austria. 1 July - 14 July 2018.
- International Livestock Nutrition Summit at UVAS Lahore on 21-22 February 2017.
- Workshop on Foal Care and Management held at College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Jhang on 16-17 January 2017
- Cascading of In-service short term training of college faculty 8-12 august 2016.
- Organizer of Tehreer workshop on 20 January 2016 at College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Jhang.
- Faculty Professional Training Programme 08-10 June, 2015 at College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Jhang- Pakistan.
- International Livestock, Dairy & Poultry Congress 11-12 march 2014 at Aiwan-e-Iqbal Complex, Lahore-Pakistan.
- International Conference on Advances in Parasitology and Public Health 22-24 October 2014 at College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Jhang.
- International Conference on Zoonosis on 16-17 October 2014 at Bhauddin Zakariya University, Multan.
- In-Service Competency Enhancement Training for Teachers 02-06 June 2014 at UVAS Lahore.
- Brucellosis “Prevalence, Diagnosis, Prevention and Control Strategies in its dual use” on 07 April 2014 at College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Jhang.
- International Workshop on Advances in Food Analytical Methods: Oil/Fat and Phenolics at COMSTECH Islamabad. 4-6 December 2013.
Project Partner: Tekirdag Namik kemal University
Duration September 2018 to June 2019
Project Partner: Phytobiotics Futterzusatzstoffe GmbH, Deutschland
Duration: 01.06.2018 – 30.05.2019
Role: Key Researcher
Project partner: AGRANA Stärke GmbH, Austria
Duration: 01.01.2018 – 31.10.2018
Role: Key Researcher
- Upcycling of wine wastes as functional feed for cattle
Funder: Stadt Wien, Rathausstraße 14-16, 1082 Vienna, Austria
Duration: 2020 – 2021
- RUSITEC-One Health
Project Partner: Interfaculty Research Cooperation of the University of Bern, Switzerland
Duration: 01.02.2018 – 01.02.2022
- Working as Assistant to Principal Officer CVAS, Jhang
- Book reading
- Won HEC scholarship for PhD under HEC overseas scholarship scheme phase II batch VII
- Merit scholarship holder during DVM
- Merit scholarship holder during M. Phil.