Dr. Waqas Ahmad
PhD (P. R. China), M. Phil (UAF), DVM (UAF)
Tel: +92-542-920301 (Indirect)
Dr. Waqas Ahmad has joined the Department of Clinical Sciences (Epidemiology) at KBCMA College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (CVAS), Narowal (Sub-campus of UVAS, Lahore) as an Assistant Professor (BPS) dated Jan 08, 2019. Previously he had been serving in the same discipline for the past two years at CVAS Jhang campus.
His major responsibilities include teaching, research and section’s administration. Previously, he had served for 2 years as focal person of Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) for EPH Section, CVAS Jhang. He is approved faculty member and life time member of Pakistan Vet Medical Council (PVMC) Islamabad. He holds Associate membership of Infectious Disease Society of Pakistan (http://www.mmidsp.com/IDSP). He has contributed his scientific inputs to start a pilot project of Dog catching and Vaccination against Rabies in Karachi. Dr. Waqas Ahmad has 14 research publications in well reputed national and international scientific journals.
Areas of Interest
- Epidemiological investigations of Rabies in Pakistan, Veterinary Public Health, Prevalence of viral and bacterial infectious diseases, pathogenesis of Brucellosis and Rabies, Burden of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), Control and prevention of Viral Zoonoses in the core domain of “One Health’
- Muhammad Ahsan Naeem, Waqas Ahmad, Rohit Tyagi, Qaiser Akram, Muhammad Younus, Xilin Liu. Stealth strategies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for immune evasion. Current Issues in Molecular Biology. 2020. Vol 42, pp-43-57.
- Amjad Hussain, Tariq Jamil, Abdul Malik Tareen, Falk Melzer, Muhammad Hammad Hussain, Iahtasham Khan, Muhammad Saqib, Ali Zohaib, Riaz Hussain, Waqas Ahmad, Mudassar Iqbal, Heinrich Neubauer. Serological and molecular investigation of brucellosis in breeding equids in Pakistani Punjab. Pathogens 2020, 9(9), 673; Page:1-8. https://doi.org/10.3390/pathogens9090673 (registering DOI). (I.F= 3.01)
- GuoY, Ahmad W, SongY, WangX, GaoJ, DuanM, GuanZ, KhanI, AwaisM & ZhangM, 2019. In vitro infection of street & fixed rabies virus strains inhibit gene expression of actin-microtubule binding proteins EB3 & p140cap in Neurons. Pak Vet J. 39(3): 359-364 http://dx.doi.org/10.29261/pakvetj/2019.007
- Waqas Ahmad, Yingying Li, Yidi Guo, Xinyu Wang, Ming Duan, Zhenhong Guan, Zengshan Liu, Maolin Zhang. Rabies virus co-localizes with early (Rab5) & late (Rab7) endosomal proteins in neuronal & SH-SY5Y cells. Virol Sin. 2017 Jun; 32(3): 207–215. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12250-017-3968-9
- Waqas Ahmad, Fazal Mahmood, Yingying Li, Ming Duan, Zhenhong Guan, Maolin Zhang, Muhammad Amjad Ali, Zengshan Liu: Immunopathological Studies of Canine Rabies in Faisalabad, Pakistan. J. Anim. Plant Sci., 26(3), 2016: 636-642.
- Waqas Ahmad, Ming Duan, Zhenhong Guan, Maolin Zhang, Muhammad Amjad Ali, Zengshan Liu: Case Study of a Rabid Dog: Vaccine Failure & Owner’s Ignorance. J. Anim. Plant Sci., (ID: VS-16-0014, Accepted): 26(3): 1-15.
- F Huang, W Ahmad, M Duan, Z Liu, Z Guan, M Zhang, B Qiao, Y Li, Y Song, Y Chen, M. Amjad Ali: Efficiency of live attenuated & inactivated rabies viruses in prophylactic & post exposure vaccination against the street virus strain. Acta Virologica 06/2015; 59(2): 117-24. DOI: 10.4149/av_2015_02_117.
- F. Huang, Z. Guan, W. Ahmad, B. Qiao, Y. Song, M. Duan, M. Zhang: Protective efficacy of live attenuated rabies virus against Lethal Challenged Virus Strain (CVS-11) infection in the Central Nervous System (CNS) of mice. Revue de Médecine Vétérinaire 07/2014; 165(7):219-224.
- Zeenat Bano, Sajid Abdullah, Waqas Ahmad, Muhammad Anjum Zia & Wardah Hassan. Activities of Antioxidant Enzymes in Various Organs of Fish From Farm, Hatchery & Indus River of Pakistan. Pak. J. Zool., 49(6): 2227-2233. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.pjz/2017.49.6.2227.2233
- H Zhang, H Yu, J Wang, M Zhang, X Wang, W Ahmad, M Duan, Z Guan: The BM2 protein of influenza B virus interacts with p53 and inhibits its transcriptional and apoptotic activities. Mol. Cell. Biochem., 02/2015; 403(1-2). DOI: 10.1007/s11010-015-2349-7.
- Gang Liu, Yan Su, Mengjiao Zhou, Jixue Zhao, Tianyu Zhang, Waqas Ahmad, Huijun Lu, Ning Jiang, Qijun Chen, Mei Xiang, Jigang Yin: Prevalence and molecular characterization of Giardia duodenalis isolates from dairy cattle in northeast China. J. Exp. Paras. 04/2015; 154. DOI: 10.1016/j.exppara.2015.03.020.
- Muhammad Zahid Farooq, Hafiz Ishfaq Ahmad, Muhammad Yaqoob,Jalees Ahmad Bhatti, Waqas Ahmad, Zafar Hayat, Farmanullah, Nisar Ahmad, Ali Haider Saleem. Factors Contributing to Kid’s Mortality in Goat Kept under desert land conditions. Muhammad Zahid Farooq et al., Sch. J. Agric. Vet. Sci., Jul 2018; 5(7):DOI: 10.21276/sjavs.2018.5.7.2).
- Exploration of the main sites for the transformation of normal prion protein (PrPC) into pathogenic prion protein (PrPsc). Xi-Lin Liu, Xiao-Li Feng, Guang-Ming Wang, Bin-Bin Gong, Waqas Ahmad, Nan-Nan Liu, Yuan-Yuan Zhang, Li Yang, Hong-Lin Ren, Shu-Sen Cui. Journal of Veterinary Research, 61(1), pp. 11-22. Retrieved 12 Apr. 2017, from doi:10.1515/jvetres-2017-0002.
- Dong Liu, Zeng-Shan Liu, Pan Hu, Ling Cai, Bao-Quan Fu, Yan-Song Li, Shi-Ying Lu, Nan-Nan Liu, Xiao-Long Ma, Dan Chi, Jiang Chang, Yi-Ming Shui, Zhao-Hui Li, Waqas Ahmad, Yu Zhou, Hong-Lin Ren. Characterization of surface antigen protein 1 (SurA1) from Acinetobacter baumannii and its role in virulence and fitness. Vet. Microbiol., 2016, 186: 126–138. 10.1016/j.vetmic.2016.02.018
- Cheng Cui, Huijun Lu, Qi Hui, Shiying Lu, Yan Liu, Waqas Ahmad, Yang Wang, Pan Hu, Xilin Liu, Yan Cai, Lingjiu Liu, Xiang Zhang, Ke Zhao, Yansong Li, Honglin Ren, Ningyi Jin, Zengshan Liu. A preliminary investigation of the toxic effects of Benzylpenicilloic acid. Volume 111, January 2018, Pages 567-577 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2017.12.013
- Cheng Cui, Xiang Zhang, Yang Wang, Shiying Lu, Huijun Lu, Qi Hui, Waqas Ahmad, Yan Cai, Xinlin Liu, Lingjiu Liu, Fengfeng Shi, Yanyan Liu, Ke Zhao, Feifei Zhai, Yangzhen Xiang, Pan Hu, Yansong Li, Honglin Ren, Ningyi Jin, Zengshan Liu. Acute and chronic toxicity assessment of benzylpenicillin G residues in heat-treated animal food products. Chemosphere. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.03.066
- Yong-Jie Yang, Zeng-Shan Liu, Shi-Ying Lu, Pan Hu, Chuang Li, Waqas Ahmad, Yan-Song Li, Yun-Ming Xu, Feng Tang, Yu Zhou, Hong-Lin Ren. Cloning and differential expression analyses of Cdc42 from sheep. J Vet Res 62, 113-119, 2018 DOI: 10.2478/jvetres-2018-0016.
- Comparative efficacy of whole blood and hypertonic colloid solution on some blood parameters in resuscitation of acute hemorrhagic shock in Dogs. Muhammad Amjad Ali1, Mumtaz Ahmad Khan, Waqas Ahmad, Faiz-Ul Hassan, Syed Muhammad Raihan Dilshad, Mian Muhammad Awais, Muhammad Irfan Anwar, Muhammad Raza Hameed, Muhammad Ashraf Sultan & Haseeb Anwar. Biologia, 2019-65 (II),1-7.
National & International Conferences (Oral/Poster Presentations)
INTERNATIONAL ORAL PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Mamoona Arshad et al., Impact of awareness activities and online courses of rabies among students in primary schools of Pakistan. Rabies in the Americas (RITA) Meeting, 28th to 30th October, 2020.
- Waqas Ahmad, Qaiser Akram, Ahsan Naeem, Shahid Hussain Farooqi. In vitro studies of rabies virus on dendritic spine & post-synaptic membrane in neuronal cells. Aug 31, 2020. https://doi.org/10.26226/morressier.5f4ccc57648d3d8b3f362bef. FEMS Online Conference on Microbiology. 28 to 31 October, 2020 in association with Serbian Society of Microbiology.
- W. Ahmad, F. Shahid Hussain, A. Ali, Q. Akram (2019, Oct). Electron microscopy & differential gene expression of various neurotransmitters & cytoskeleton related proteins under rabies virus infection. Session title: CNS Infections. WCN19-1205. Elsevier J Neuro Sciences: doi:10.1016/j.jns.2019.10.237 Volume 405, Supplement, 14-16. 24th World Con Neuro. Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Ali, I. Khan, M. Awais (2018, Nov). Ameliorative effect of hydrated sodium calcium aluminium silicates (HSCAS) in Cadmium induced hemato-biochemical changes in male Japanese quail (Coturnix Japonica). Virology Session. Elsevier,J Inf Pub Health: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 119: open access. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2018.10.049. 3rd Gulf Cong Clin Microb & Inf Dis (GCCMID 2018), Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Ali, I. Khan, M. Awais (2018, Nov). Molecular & Sero Prevalence of Tuberculosis among children presented with chronic cough in public hospitals of Faisalabad, Pakistan. Elsevier, J Inf Pub Health: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 119: open access. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2018.10.050. 3rd Gulf Cong Clin Microb & Inf Dis (GCCMID), Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Ali, I. Khan, M. Awais (2018, Nov). Rabies virus down-regulates gene expression of GTPases & synapse related proteins. Elsevier,J Inf Pub Health: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 119: open access. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2018.10.051. 3rd Gulf Cong Clin Microb & Inf Dis (GCCMID), Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Ali, I. Khan, M. Awais (2018, Nov). Fluorescent Isothiocyanate Dextran evaluates the permeability of blood-brain barrier in rabies infected brain of mice. Elsevier, J Inf Pub Health: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 119: open access. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2018.10.052. 3rd Gulf Cong Clin Microb & Inf Dis (GCCMID 2018), Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Ali, I. Khan, M. Awais (2018, Nov). Burden of dog-bites & associated risk of rabies in public sector hospitals of Punjab, Pakistan. Elsevier, J Inf Pub Health: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 119: open access. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2018.10.053. 3rd Gulf Cong Clin Microb & Inf Dis (GCCMID), Dubai, UAE.
- W. Ahmad, M. Awais, I. Khan, M. Farooq, M.A. Ali (2018, Nov). Rabies virus degenerates neuronal cytoskeleton by down-regulating gene expression of GTPases & synapse related protein. Session: Epidemiological Principles & Methods. Abstract Book, Page 202. 15th Int Symp Vet Epi Eco (15th ISVEE). Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Ahmad, Waqas, Yinying Li, Maolin Zhang, Liu Zengshan, Khan Iahtasham, Awais Muhammad (2018, June). Dynamic interaction of rabies virus (RABV) with endosomes & end binding partners (EB3 & p140cap) of Cytoskeleton. Pathogenesis Session (5OHS B03-PATHOGENESIS 1). 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Ahmad, Waqas, Song Yan, Duan Ming, Maolin Zhang, Khan Iahtasham, Awais Muhammad, Ali Muhammad Amjad (2018, June). Dynamic interaction of rabies virus (RABV) with endosomes & end binding partners (EB3 & p140cap) of Cytoskeleton. Pathogenesis Session (5OHS B05-PATHOGENESIS 2). 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Waqas Ahmad (2018, June). Achieving Rabies Zero By 2030. Science Policy Interface Session. 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Ahmad, W, Song, Y, Gong, Y, Wang, X, Gao, J, Duan, M, Guan, Z, Maolin, Z, Khan I (2017, Nov). Rabies virus down-regulates the expression of actin & microtubule associated proteins in neurons. Abstract ID: South Afr J Infect Dis 2017 Supp 8344 www.tandfonline.com/ojid. Vol 32, No 4 (2017). 7th Federation of Infectious Disease Society of Southern Africa (FIDSSA) sponsored by Inf Dis Soc South Africa. Cape Town, South Africa.
- Muhammad Awais, Waqas Ahmad, Iahtasham Khan, Akhter Rasool, Syed Aun Muhammad, Min Cui, Zhen Fang Fu. (2018, May). The influence of TLR7 deficiency on central nervous system pathology & TLR8 expression in JEV infection. 11th World Congress On Virology & Infectious Diseases. Tokyo, Japan.
- Amjad Ali, Ejaz Ahmad, Nabeel Ijaz, Waqas Ahmad, Faiz Ul Hassan (2018, Feb). Quality of cryopreserved buffalo spermatozoa improved from poor quality ejaculates. Cryobiology 80:167 DOI: 0.1016/j.cryobiol.2017.10.052. Society of Cryobiology, Dalian, China.
INTERNATIONAL POSTER PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- P045-OHS B01-Surveillance & Early Detection: Contact tracing of dog-bites, disability-adjusted life year score and associated risk of rabies in four Government hospitals of Pakistan. Ahmad, Waqas; Khan, Iahtisham; Awais, Muhammad; Ali, Muhammad Amjad; Maolin, Zhang; Liu, Zengshan. 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada (June, 2018).
- P124-OHS B03 B05–Pathogenesis: Immunopathological variations in brain tissues of mice and dogs infected with street and fixed strains of rabies virus. Ahmad, Waqas; Maolin, Zhang; Liu, Zengshan; Khan, Iahtasham; Awais, Muhammad. 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada (June, 2018).
- P126-OHS B03 B05–Pathogenesis: Screening and distribution of different genes related to cytoskeleton and neuronal transmitters in hippocampus under rabies infection. Ahmad, Waqas; Bin, Qiao; Guan, Zhenhong; Duan, Ming; Maolin, Zhang; Khan, Iahtasham; Awais, Muahmmad; Ali, Muhammad Amjad 5th Int One Health Congress. Saskatoon, Canada (June, 2018).
- WCN19-1492: Poster shift 02-Autoimmune disorders-Part I/CNS infections-Part I/dementia-Part I/epilepsy-Part I/health economics and outcomes/neuroepidemiology and environmental and other: Poster entitled “Permeability patterns of fluorescent isothiocyanate dextranin blood-brain barrier of mice model” W. Ahmad, A. Ahmad, Q. Akram. World Conference of Neurosciences (Oct, 2019). J Neuro Sci, 0.1016/j.jns.2019.10.1027.
- #6966 Rabies Virus Interacts with Dendritic Spine and Post-Synaptic Membrane in Neuronal Cells: W. Ahmad, Q. Akram and A. Ahmad. ASM Mirobe Online June 16-22, 2020.
- #6970 Immunopathological Variations in Brain Tissues of Mice and Dogs Infected with Rabies Virus. W. Ahmad,
ASM Mirobe Online 16-22, 2020.
NATIONAL ORAL PRESENTATIONS
- Muhammad Amjad Ali, Waqas Ahmad, Syed Muhammad Raihan Dilshad, Muhammad Awais, Muhammad Irfan Anwar & Faiz-ul-Hassan (2018, May). Comparative efficacy of whole blood & hypertonic colloid solution on some blood parameters in resuscitation of acute haemorrhagic shock in dogs. 3rd international Conference on Biosciences ICBS-OZ-82-2018. Biological Society of Pakistan in collaboration with the Ecoscience foundation & HEC. Venue: Govt College University Lahore, Pakistan (Abstract Published Only).
- Permanent Registered Veterinary Medical Practitioner (RVMP) in Pak Vet Med Council (PVMC).
- Member International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID).
- Registered Veterinary Medical Faculty in PVMC.
- Associate Member of Infectious Disease Society of Pakistan (http://www.mmidsp.com/ IDSP, No. 611/AS/17).
- British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC) on 1 April 2020 (Membership Number: P0002152).
- International Veterinary Vaccinology Network (IVVN) Edinburgh, Scotland, EH25 9RG.
- Guest Member of International Society for Disease Surveillance, USA.
- Global Outreach Membership of American Society of Microbiology (ASM).
- Life membership of the World Society for Virology.
- Permanent member of BactiVac Network|University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK.
- Affiliate Membership of Microbiology Society: Membership No: C031359: Microbiology Society|www.microbiologysociety.org. Charles Darwin House, 12 Roger Street, London, WC1N 2JU, UK
- International Membership in Canadian Network for Neglected Tropical Diseases (Réseau Canadien pour les maladies tropicales negligees).
- Member (Membership No. 3334), Healthcare Infection Society (HIS). Montagu House, 7E Wakefield Street, London.
- Young Scientist Membership (Membership ID: 450718) in European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) till 26 August 2021.
Professional National and International Trainings/Workshops/Seminars
- Nominated from Pakistan for the workshop entitled “Building Capacity In Pakistan: Training In The Use Of Polymerase Chain Reaction” at National Institute of Health (NIH), Islamabad, Pakistan during 27-29 Aug, 2019, followed by webinars at 01, 8th, 15th, 17th & 22th of Oct, 2019. Then the last part was conducted at Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Nairobi, Kenya. The workshop was jointly organized by US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering & Medicine (US-NASEM), NIH & KEMRI.
- Nominated from Pakistan for 11-day fully funded workshop entitled “Workshop on Surveillance & Control of Rabies, Pasteur Institute of Iran (Amol)-October 8th to 19th 2017” organized by the Pasteur Institute of Iran with the support of the Institut Pasteur in Paris, the Department of Biochemistry, of the University of Lausanne, Switzerland, the Health Sciences eTraining Foundation (HSeT), the World Health Organization (WHO) & the PREDEMICS consortium (FP7 grant nb 278433) in collaboration with the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), the Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) & the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC).
- Nominated for fully funded 6 weeks Skill Based Faculty Development Program by the Vice Chancellor (Prof. Dr. Talat Nasser Pasha) of UVAS Lahore at the National Academy of Higher Education (NAHE) from 01 July, 2019 to 09 August 2019. The program was organized by NAHE at the Higher Education Commission, Islamabad for faculty development program to train in the aspects of teaching, research & leadership.
- Nominated by the Vice Chancellor (Prof. Dr. Talat Nasser Pasha) of UVAS, Lahore for 3 day fully funded workshop entitled “Constructive Alignment of Teaching Learning Context” organized by “In-service training facility of advance veterinary education and professional development for veterinary profession” Dated 18-20 March 2019.
- Conducted workshop as Resource Person entitled “Detection of Adulterants in Bovine Milk” dated 13-02-2019 at KBCMA College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Narowal Pakistan.
- Nominated for fully funded “One Day Biosafety Cabinet Workshop 21st May, 2017 organized by The Pakistan Biological Safety Association (PBSA), Islamabad & the Fogarty International Center (FIC) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA held at School of Biological Sciences, Lahore University of Management Sciences.
- Participated in the hands on training workshop entitled “Milk Indirect ELISA for the detection of Brucella Abortus antibodies” held at College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Jhang, Pakistan at 4 April, 2017.
- Participated in the pragmatic Orientation of Biosafety level (BSL)-II lab” Workshop on Lab Biosafety College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Jhang, Pakistan at 16 February, 2017.
- Organized One Day Workshop as Resource Person entitled “Effective Teaching Skills” dated 15-10-2019 at College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences Narowal, Pakistan.
- Organized One Day Workshop as Organizer entitled “Advance Techniques in Biochemical Research” dated 05/12/2019 at College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences Narowal, Pakistan.
Certificates Obtained in Short Courses
- Awarded 8 credits (ECTS-8) from the University of Lausanne, Switzerland and the Health Sciences eTraining Foundation (HSeT) to complete the study period from January 2017 to October 2017 in Iran.
- Awarded 63 Credits from the Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE, USA). RACE is an institution of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) for the attendance in one health congress in Saskatoon, Canada.
- Online certificate of Rabies Educator Certificate from the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC)
- Online certificate of “Community Coordinator for Rabies Control“ from the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC) organization.
- Online certificate of “Animal Handling and Vaccination“ from the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC) organization.
- Completed a project of 0.5 million PKR funded by HEC, Pakistan; “Gross and microscopic pathological changes induced by experimental inoculation of Brucellosis in laboratory animal model”.
- Won fully funded Chinese Gov Scholarship to pursue PhD (Sep 2013- July 2016).
- Won shield of appreciation from Governor of Punjab, Pak at convocation (2016) of the employed University.
- Won nomination & full grant to attend ‘Customized Online and Onsite Training (COLT) training in 11-day workshop at Pasteur Institute of Iran (Oct 2017).
- Won nomination & full grant to deliver 03 oral presentations in One Health Congress, Canada (June, 2018).
- Won nomination & full grant deliver oral presentations at the 15th ISVEE congress in Thailand (Nov, 2018).
- Won nomination & full grant to attend 06 week faculty development program at HEC, Isb, Pak (Aug, 2019).
- Won nomination & full grant by US-NASEM for PCR training in NIH, Isb & KEMRI, Nairobi, Kenya (Oct, 2019).
- Won nomination & full grant to deliver Oral presentation in 24th World Conf Neurosciences (Nov, 2019).
- Nominated as Mentee under IFBA Global Mentorship Program 2020-2021.
- Won appreciation/letter from Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC) in recognition to my work.
- My testimonial regarding free courses about rabies at GARC was shared at the website of GARC dated 01/02/20 (https://rabiesalliance.org/capacity-building/gep).
- My featured article “Fostering youth for a rabies free future in Pakistan” was published 03/09/2020 on End Rabies Now website (https://endrabiesnow.org/stories/view/fostering-youth-for-a-rabies-free-future-in-pakistan).