Vision of Department
To be a leading department for environmental education and research specifically for veterinary
issues with innovative means and collaborative interdisciplinary approaches for current and
evolving environmental challenges.
Mission of Department
The mission of the Department of Environmental Sciences is to produce environmental
professionals through interdisciplinary scientific research, education, and civic engagement
focusing environmental sustainability.
The BS (Hons.) in Environmental Sciences program carries the following objectives:
- To create environmentally conscious human resource capable of understanding, investigating and solving environmental issues at all levels;
- To develop and embed analytical skills in the human resource produced by offering relevant courses and subjects;
- To inculcate critical thinking and encourage inter-disciplinary research;
- To develop understanding towards environmental policies, assessment and compliance of various development projects/industries;
- To prepare students for natural resources management in-line with sustainable development goals.
The graduating students from the DES with a BS (Hons.) in Environmental Sciences degree are expected to be capable of:
Applying appropriate pollution control technologies in the field.
- Investigating and solving environmental issues and problems;
- Analyzing, and questioning environmental quality standards, policies and laws;
- Critical thinking, research and scientific writing;
- Planning, assessing, implementing and monitoring environmental regulations;
As environmental science is multidisciplinary in nature so it is considered to be a subject with great scope. Environment is not limited to issues of sanitation and health but it is now concerned with pollution control, biodiversity conservation, waste management and conservation of natural resources. It requires expert eyes and hence creating new job opportunities. The opportunities in this field are immense. Environmental science can be applied in the following spheres:
- For managing and maintenance of forests which are natural resources and for the maintenance of wildlife forms task under natural resource conservation. It is also a scope of environmental studies.
- With the knowledge of environmental science everybody can control the pollution. He/she can handle the waste management and also look for ways to control pollution on the aspect of pollution control.
- There are several independent environmental consultants who are working with nationally. They offer advice to solve the problems of environment the optimum solution for the upcoming problems. They give direction for controlling pollution due to industrial development.
- Environmental scientists work towards maintenance of ecological balance. They also work towards conservation of biodiversity and regulation of natural resources as well as on preservation of natural resources.
- Most of the industries have a separate environmental research and development section. These sections govern the impact that their industry has on the environment. Our environment is being degraded by the rapid industrialization. To combat this menace there is a growing trend towards manufacture of "green" goods and products. So we can say that there is a good scope in the field of industry from environmental studies.
- Research and development has tremendous scope due to increasing public awareness regarding the environment.
- Due to an increasing threat from global warming, many steps are being undertaken for the reduction of greenhouse gases and the adoption of renewable energy resources. It generates awareness now regarding the use of solar energy for variety of purposes.
- Many NGOs (non-governmental organizations) help in creating awareness regarding the protection of the environment and making the masses aware of various environmental issues. They also generate a public opinion in this field. They work towards disseminating information and in bringing about changes in political policies that are personally effect the environment.