Department of Dairy TechnologyFAPT
This Department started when the College of Veterinary Sciences was upgraded to University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Lahore. Earlier it was named as Dairy section. The Dairy section was established in 1954 when a dairy plant was installed from USA. Initially it was working with Livestock Department but was integrated with College of Veterinary Sciences in 1976. After the up gradation of CVS to UVAS dairy section is changed to the Department of Animal Products Technology. Department of Animal Product Technology has been restructured into three independent Departments namely, Department of Dairy Technology, Department of Meat Science & Technology and Department of Leather and Fibre Technology.
Aims and Objective
The degree program in Dairy Technology started with the following aims and objectives:
- To impart advance knowledge about milk processing as a major discipline in the field of Dairy Technology.
- To equip the students with recent knowledge and practical skills for suitable planning, state of art processing / preservation and dairy products manufacturing.
- To train the manpower for handling of milk processing / preservation and product manufacturing equipments and machinery.
- To train manpower for production, evaluation, marketing of value added milk products.
- To develop aptitude and demonstration skills for teaching, research and management in dairy industry.
- Improvement of milk handling and processing.
- Development of appropriate technologies for the value added dairy products meeting WTO standards.
Persons aspiring to make a career in Dairy Technology should have scientific temper, willingness to work hard, commitment, an enquiring mind and cleanliness.
Our success stems from quality teaching coupled with hands-on approach to training at our milk processing plant which is unique in the country. This means we provide students the opportunity for practical training to learn in real situations - an approach that offers far-reaching benefits. Because our students learn by doing, they can apply their new skills and knowledge as soon as they return to their place of work. At the same time, our training also give them the flexibility they need to adapt their learning to meet any new challenges they may face.
Jobs in Dairy Sector
Dairy Technology graduates have job opportunities in the fields like dairy industries, food industries, beverage sectors, academia, research laboratories and institutes, government organizations and quality assurance programs etc.
Say No to Carbonated Beverages
University of veterinary and Animal Sciences is first University in Pakistan who opted this slogan and taken the initiative to ban the carbonated beverages in its campuses.
Now the students and the staff enjoy the delicious products prepared by Department of Dairy Technology like
- Flavored Milk
- Laban (Sweat and Salty)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Yoghurt cups
- Kheer (in winter season)
- Butter and Desi ghee (for house hold)
These products are produced from fresh milk obtained from University Own farms The milk is absolutely free from chemicals and preservative. The milk is processed hygienically under the supervision of professional team of Department of Dairy Technology.
Dairy Chemistry & Processing Lab