Dr. Sidra Safdar
M Sc Zoology (PU), M Phil Environmental Sciences (PU)
Tel: 0092 334 9980778
Ms Sidra Safdar is a lecturer in the Department of Wildlife and Ecology, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. She won her M Sc from University of the Punjab, Lahore with distinction and was awarded the University Gold Medal and Sir William Roberts Gold medal by the University. She holds her M Phil in Environmental Sciences from College of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of the Punjab, Lahore. Her research entitled “Avian Diversity Analysis of Punjab University, New Campus in Relation to Land Use Change” encompassed the role of land use change upon the avifauna of Punjab University. She is pursuing her PhD in Zoology from University of the Punjab with focus upon environmental health issues in Pakistan. Her research involves monitoring of the indoor air quality of residential houses of Lahore; an area which has been largely ignored in Pakistan. She served as a College Teaching Internee (CTI) in the Government College of Science, Wahdat Road, Lahore from November 2010 till October, 2011. She has also served as a research scholar in a British Council funded project “Transnational Education Programme Development” from September, 2012 till February 2015 when she joined the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. Her duties included monitoring of particulate matter at different altitudes, indoor and ambient environments of UK and Pakistan, monitoring of grasslands, wetlands and woodland ecosystems for climate change in Pakistan and other related field work of TNE programme. She is a member of the Aerosol Society, UK and Environmental Protection UK (EPUK). She is Director Memberships for UVAS Wildlife Society and also a life fellow of the society.
- Aerosol monitoring and analysis in different indoor micro-environments of rural and urban areas
- Impact of altitudes upon the ambient levels of particulate matter
- Land use change and its impact upon animal distribution, particularly avian diversity
- Monitoring of grasslands, wetlands and woodland ecosystems for climate change in Pakistan
- Animal Behaviour
- Safdar Sidra, Zulfiqar Ali, Zaheer Ahmad Nasir, Ian Colbeck. 2015. Seasonal variation of fine particulate matter in residential micro-environments of Lahore, Pakistan. Atmospheric Pollution Research 6 DOI-10.5094/APR.2015.088
- Syed Turab Raza, Zulfiqar Ali, Irfan Zainab, Safdar Sidra, Afzal Nimra, Zaidi Zona, and Khadija Aziz. 2015. Soil and water analysis for micro-nutrients in wetland’s associated grassland ecosystems. J. Anim. & Plant Sci. 25(4). Accepted.
- Safdar Sidra, Zulfiqar Ali, and Muhammad Nawaz Chaudhry. 2013. Avian Diversity at New Campus of Punjab University in Relation to Land Use Change. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 45(4), pp. 1069-1082.
- Airborne Microflora in Residential Houses in Lahore, Pakistan; Poster presented in Wildlife & Aerobiology Conference & Training Workshop, 6th & 7th February, 2015 held at Department of Zoology, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
- Prevalence of dengue fever during 2011 - 2012 in Punjab: Poster presented in Two Days National conference on Defeating the Public Enemy, The Mosquito: A Real Challenge, Lahore College for Women University, Lahore, held on 3rd and 4th December, 2014.
- Comparative study of particulate matter in various environments in the UK and Pakistan. Presentation in the Annual Aerosol Conference, Birmingham, UK, held on 28th November, 2014.
- Changes in particulate matter concentrations at different altitudinal levels with environmental dynamics. Presentation in the Annual Aerosol Science Conference, Birmingham, UK, held on 28th November, 2014.
- Assessment of Particulate matter and airborne microflora in residential houses in Lahore, Pakistan. Poster presentation in 2014 International Aerosol Conference, Busan, Korea held from Aug, 28 – Sep, 2, 2014
- Measurement of NO2 inside and outside Various Educational Institutes of Lahore, Pakistan. Presentation in Indoor Air, Hong Kong, July, 2014.
- Monitoring of PM2.5 arising from Different Cooking Fuels in Rural Residential Houses. Presentation in Indoor Air, Hong Kong, July, 2014.
- Success of Transnational Education facilitated by British Council – INSPIRE II Conference, 28th February, 2014, University of Leicester, UK.
- Indoor Air Quality in Lahore, Pakistan – Poster presentation in European Aerosol Conference, Prague, Czech Republic held from 1-6 September, 2013.
- Aerobiological analysis of indoor and outdoor environments in different wards of a hospital in Lahore, Pakistan. Poster presented in Bioaerosols and the Built Environment Conference, University of Leeds, UK, 26-27 June, 2013.
- Assessment of Indoor Air Quality (PM2.5) with seasonal variations in Lahore, Pakistan – Oral presentation in 33rd Pakistan Congress of Zoology (International) held from 2-4 April, 2013.
- Monitoring of Air-borne Particulate matter arising from different fuel in rural houses - Oral presentation in 33rd Pakistan Congress of Zoology (International) held from 2-4 April, 2013.
Conferences and workshops attended
- Four days’ workshop on “Capacity Building of Young Researchers”, 15th June-18th - June, 2015, organized by Department of Poultry Production, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore,.
- Wildlife & Aerobiology Conference & Training Workshop, 6th & 7th February, 2015 held at Department of Zoology, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
- Defeating the Public Enemy, The Mosquito: A Real Challenge, Two Days National Conference organized by Dengue Prevention and Control Cell, LCWU, Lahore and INSPIRE-Transnational Education Partnership Programme, British Council, 3-4 Dec, 2104.
- Participatory Rural Appraisal for Natural Resource Management around Mangla Dam, Mirpur, AJK, 17th-18th January, 2014.
- Novel Approaches to Monitor Air Pollution and Environmental Health Issues, British Council TNE-308 International Workshop and Lecture Series, 6th-9th January, 2014.
- Fundamentals of Aerosol Sciences: Lectures organized by The Aerosol Society, UK at the University of Birmingham, on 28th November, 2013.
- 33rd International Congress of Zoology, held in Islamabad from 2nd-4th April, 2013
Achievements and Co-curricular activities
- Awarded merit scholarship by DPCC for PhD
- Awarded the University of Punjab Gold Medal and Sir William Roberts Gold Medal for outstanding performance in M Sc examination.
- Served as the President of Zoological Society, Government College of Science-Wahdat Road, Lahore during 2007-08.
- Member of the Aerosol Society, UK
- Member of the Environmental Protection, UK
- Life fellow of UVAS Wildlife Society
- Director memberships for UVAS Wildlife Society