Department of Epidemiology and Public Health was established in year 2002, however, the postgraduate degree programs were initiated in year 2006. Up till now, more than 100 students have enrolled in the post-graduate degree programs. The senior faculty of the department holds doctorate degrees. The department also has recruited young faculty members who are encouraged to improve their qualification. Some of the young faculty members have proceeded abroad for higher studies in well renowned institutions in technologically advanced countries. The strengthening of the infrastructure and research laboratories of the department is in progress.
The mission of department of Epidemiology and Public Health is to improve the health of animals and human through education and training of epidemiologist and by enhancing the multidiscipline research related to prevention and control of disease of major public health concern.
- To provide high quality education in the field of epidemiology and public health to train and produce top level epidemiologist
- To initiate high quality research in the field of epidemiology
- To use applied epidemiological methods to investigate potential factors of diseases
- To disseminate quality research outcomes and valuable information about control and prevention to concern quarters for the formulation of public health policy and disease control strategies.
- Epidemiology of infectious and non-infectious diseases of Public Health and Veterinary Public Health importance
- Epidemic investigations, Surveillance and Monitoring of diseases of livestock and humans
- Food hygiene, quality control and residual testing in food of animal origin
- Dr. Mamoona Chaudhry was sent to UK on study leave for PhD studies under HEC overseas scholarship scheme (10%) from University of Edinburgh, UK in epidemiology. She completed her PhD in 2012 and joined the department.
- Ms. Shakera Sadiq is doing her PhD studies at UVAS under HEC indigenous scholarship scheme.
- Hi-Tech Laboratory for the diagnosis of Bacteria, virus and parasites
- Facilities include PCR, Culturing of microorganism, Serology, tissue culture etc.
- Ion Analyzer
- Biohazard safety cabinet class-I
- Biohazard safety cabinet class-II
- Milk analyzer
- Electronic Balance
- Water bath
- Microscope with built in digital camera
- Hot Air Oven (3)
- Bench top centrifuge machine
- Ultra centrifuge machine
- Incubators (2)
- PCR machine
- Gel Electrophoresis apparatus
- Freezer –80 °C
- Distillation plant
Areas of interest
The area of interest for MPhil and PhD students for specialization are:
- Infectious disease epidemiology
- Epidemiological study designs
- Molecular epidemiology
- Non-communicable disease epidemiology
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Experimental epidemiology
- Zoonotic diseases
- Epidemiology of vector-borne diseases