DVM, M.Sc. (Hons) PhD (UK)
Tel. (Home): +92(42)37159331
Tel. (Office): +92(42)99211449- Ext (185)
+92(42)99211374- Ext (185)
Dr. Gulbeena Saleem is working as associate professor in department of pathology, UVAS, Lahore. She took up as a young undergraduate at the College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore and stayed on there until she completed her M.Sc (Hons) in Pathology in 2000. She then moved on to University of Glasgow, UK, where she completed her PhD in 2013 on “Necrotic enteritis, disease induction, predisposing factors and novel biochemical markers in broiler chickens ״ . Currently, being an associate Professor, she is involved in extensive teaching and supervision of postgraduate student’s for their dissertation projects in the Department of Pathology.
Areas of interests
My research interests relate to infectious diseases, gut health, gene expression, molecular markers and nutrtrtional strategies to enhance performance.
- Co- author of Manual of food borne diseases in Pakistan. (2014). Pak Book Corporation, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Co- author of Manual of Veterinary Systemic Pathology. (2003). Maktaba-E-Danishwaran Publications, Lahore.
- Co- author of Manual of Veterinary General Pathology. (2002). Maktaba- E-Danishwaran Publications, Lahore.
- Iram Liaqat, Najma Arshad, Gulbeena Saleem and Muhammad Zain-ul-ab Ideen (2017) Desulfovibrio vulgaris, biofilm formation and T3SS Inhibition BIOLOGIA, 63 (1), 115-123.
- Najma Arshad, Muhammad Tahir, Riffat Iqbal, Gulbeena Saleem, Zain ul Abideen, Saba Fathesher Role of salicylidene acylhydrazide and proteases in Biofilm inhibition of Desulfovibrio vulgaris. Submitted for publication in Journal: Brazilian Journal of Microbiology.
- M Younus, T Abbas, M Zafar, S Raza, A Khan, I Khan, M A Idrees, Q U Nisa, R Akhtar and G Saleem (2017). Quantification of enrofloxacin residues in broiler chicken tissues using competitive Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 87 (5): 123–00 (Impact factor: 0.17).
- Bilal Murtaza, Muhammad Tariq Javed, Aziz ur Rehman, M. Sohaib Aslam, Farkhanda Manzoor, Gulbeena Saleem, Muhammad Haseeb Malik, Syed Muhammad Faizan, Nosheen Naheed, Muhammad Noman Bhutta, Hammad Ghafoor, Muhammad Junaid Asif (2017) Development of egg yolk antibodies and their role in passive immunization against avian pathogenic Escherichia coli (APEC) infection in broiler chicks. Submitted for publication
- Syed Muhammad Faizan, Muhammad Tariq Javed, Farkhanda Manzoor, Gulbeena Saleem, Aziz ur Rehman, Sohaib Aslam, Hammad Ghafoor, Bilal Murtaza, Muhammad Noman Bhutta, Nouman Javed (2017). Development of vaccine and its preventive role against Escherichia coli infection in broiler chicks. Submitted for publication
- F. Khattak, M. A. Shahzad, T. N. Pasha and G. Saleem (2016) Comparative evaluation of commercially available supplementary sources of inorganic phosphorous in broiler feed. The J. Anim. Plant Sci. 26(6):2016 (Impact factor = 0.422)
- K. Hassan, A. Khalique, T. N. Pasha, M. Akram, S. Mahmood, A. W. Sahota, M. S. Imran and G. Saleem (2016) Influence of Moringa oleifera decorticated seed meal on broiler performance and immunity. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. ISSN: 0253-8318 (PRINT), 2074-7764 (ONLINE) (Impact factor = 0.822)
- M. Younus, T. Abbas, M. Zafar, S. Raza, A. Khan, A.H. Saleem, M.A. Idrees, Q.U. Nisa, R. Akhtar and G. Saleem (2016) Assessment of heavy metal contamination in raw milk for human consumption. South African Journal of Animal Science 2016, 46 (No. 2). (Impact factor = 0.504)
- G. Saleem, R. Ramzaan, Farina Khattak, Raheela Akhtar (2016). Effects of acetic acid supplementation in broiler chickens orally challenged with Salmonella Pullorum. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (In press). (Impact factor = 0.242)
- Z. Hayat, Abd ur Rehman, K. Akram, U. Farooq, and G. Saleem (2014). Evaluation of natural methionine source on broiler growth performance. Journal of Science, Food and Agriculture. (Impact factor = 2.076).
- R. Akhtar, M. Sardar, N. Saima, G. Saleem, S. Imran and A. Aslam (2014). Responses of Nilli Ravi buffalo to aflatoxin B1 with and without toxin absorbents. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences, 23, 317-323. (Impact factor = 0.448)
- B. Zahid, G. Saleem, A. Aslam, M. S. Imran and M. Younas. (2014). Effect of immunostimulants on humoral response against IBD in broilers. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. (Impact factor = 1.034).
- S. Ali, R. Akhtar, M. Younas, G. Saleem (2014). Comparative trends of bovine tuberculosis in Cattle and buffalo population around Lahore, Pakistan. European Journal of Environmental Ecology, 2014,1 (1):7-11. e-ISSN-2393-9672.
- Saleem, G., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam and S. Akhtar (2002) Studies on stress induced effects in broilers following vaccination (Hydro-poultry) against hydropericardium syndrome. Science International, 14(1): 55-58.
- Aslam, A., S. I. Syed, S. A. Khan and G. Saleem and S. Akhtar. (2002) Studies on stress induced effects in broilers following vaccination (Nobilis Ma5-Clone 30) against Infectious Bronchitis & Newcastle disease. Sci. intl. 15(4): 365-368
- Mushtaq, F., S. A. Khan, A. Aslam, K. Saeed, G. Saleem (2003) Effect of immunostimulants on broilers suffering from infectious bursal disease. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(1): 36-40. (Impact factor = 1.034)
- Salam, R., A. Aslam, S.A. Khan, K. Saeed & G. Saleem (2003) Effect of different routes of vaccination against Newcastle disease on lymphoid organs of broilers. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(2): 78-83. (Impact factor = 1.034)
- Aslam, A. A, Jamal, S. A. Khan, H.U. Rehman and G. Saleem (2005) Effect of stress following vaccination (Avinew) against Newcastle Disease in broilers. J. Anim. Pl. Sci. (3-4):56-59. (Impact factor = 0.448)
- M. Asim, R. Manzoor, G. Saleem, S. Naseer, and A. Hussain (2005) Comparative sensitivity of different tests to determine antibody response against infectious bursal disease (IBD) hot/ intermediate plus and mild strains. Pak. J.Vet.Res,2(1) :18-21
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, J. Houdijk and V. Pirgozliev (2012). Interactive effects of diet composition and litter quality on growth performance and incidence of sub-clinical necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. Proceedings of World Poultry Science Association (UK Branch), pp. 06, Nottingham, UK.
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, J. Houdijk and V. Pirgozliev (2012) Effect of canola meal and litter condition on gut health. Proceedings of World Poultry Science Association (UK Branch), pp14, Nottingham, UK.
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, J. Houdijk and V. Pirgozliev (2011) Experimental induction of sub-clinical necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens. British Poultry Abstracts pp 58, Vol 7, Number 1, august, 2011.
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, J. Houdijk and V. Pirgozliev (2011) Proliferation of Clostridium perfringens on in vitro digested poultry feed with and without fish meal. Proceedings of 18th European Symposium on Poultry Nutrition, Turkey.
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, J. Houdijk, T. Acamovic and V. Pirgozliev (2011) Does feed withdrawal assist experimental induction of sub-clinical necrotic enteritis in broiler chickens? British poultry abstracts pp 4, Vol 7, Number 1, august, 2011.
- G, Saleem, N. Sparks, V. Pirgozliev, T. Acamovic, J. Houdijk, J. Wiseman, A. Peron, J. Snape (2010) “Effect of wheat cultivar, type and xylanase supplementation on growth performance and gut microflora of broilers” Book of Abstracts, XIIIth European Poultry Conference, pp 375.
- Focal person of QEC for Department of Pathology
- Incharge Industry liaison Seminar committee, Department of Pathology
- Incharge Income generated by Department of Pathology
- Incharge Lecture room No 6, Department of Pathology
- Incharge Post graduate Bacteriology Laboratory, Department of Pathology
- Incharge Repair and Maintenance of all departmental equipment and instruments
- Member Student Grievances Committee, Department of Pathology
- Focal Person, Departmental Biosafety Officer (DBSO)
- Member Departmental Board of Studies, Department of Pathology
- Member Board of Faculty, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, UVAS, Lahore (2016-2017).
- Member Committee to prepare/ conduct the test at par with GRE (General) and GRE (Subject) for admission in MS/ Mphil and PhD or equivalent programs.
- Member Course Review Committee BS. (Hons) Medical Technology, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Science.
- In-charge student’s tutorial group No. 47, UVAS, Lahore.
- Postmortem examination of small and large animals.
Graduate Student Supervision
- 2 MPhil students as Supervisor
- 4 MPhil students as Major Member
- 1PhD students as Supervisor
- 2 MPhil students as Supervisor
- 2 MPhil students as Major Member
TRAINIGS / Conferences/ Seminars attended (Selected)
- One day training workshop for QEC Focal Persons, 25th May, 2017, UVAS, Lahore.
- International Livestock Nutrition Summit, February, 21-22 2017, UVAS, Lahore.
- 6th International Halal Conference and Exhibition 2017April 10 and11, 2017at Faletti’s Hotel , Lahore, Pakistan.
- Hand on practical training on tools used for next generation sequencing based microbiome and sequencing data analysis. December 14-15, 2016, Quality Operation Laboratory, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore.
- Training workshop on DNA Fingerprinting Technique, Spoligotyping, 11- 12 November, 2016. Department of Pathology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad.
- International conference on Livestock genomics, (ICLG) 30-31st May 2016, IBBT, UVAS, Lahore.
- Funds winning opportunities workshop, 5th invention to innovation summit, Pakistan Science Foundation, March, 2-3 2016, University of Punjab, Lahore.
- International Poultry Nutrition Conference and Expo-2015, Nutritionist association of Pakistan and UVAS, 3-4 November 2015.
- Food and Nutrition week, 2015, UVAS and Forman Christian College (A chartered University, Lahore), 3-7 November 2015.
- Two days national workshop on “Scientific proposal writing” organized by Department of Parasitology, UVAS w.e.f 19-20th Feb, 2015.
- Participated in workshop for Bioinformatics tools and resources held on March 29-30, 2017 organized by IBBT, UVAS-Lahore
- 2nd WVPA- WPSA Scientific Conference, World Poultry Science Association, 21-22 Sep. 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- One day workshop on Future challenges in Veterinary Teaching, CEPA, UVAS, 8th September 2015.
- International Workshop on Bio-safety, 18-20 Dec. 2014, UVAS, Lahore.
- Project Formulation Workshop ״ held by Pakistan Science foundation in collaboration with UVAS, March 27-28, 2014 at UVAS, Lahore.
- Second national conference, Pakistan Association of medical Editors, University of Health Sciences, Lahore. April 26-27, 2014.
- International Conference and Expo 2014 Recent developments in human nutrition, 19-20 March 2014 at PC, Lahore.
- Advance Diagnostic in Parasitology, 13-14 Nov 2014 at UVAS, Lahore.
- In-service Competency Enhancement Training for Teachers, 1-5th July 2013, UVAS, Lahore.
- Tuberculosis a zoonosis 16th April 2013, UVAS, Lahore.
- World Poultry Science Association (UK) Annual Meeting 24th – 25th April 2012, Nottingham, UK.
- 30th Poultry Science Symposium 7th-9th September 2011 Glasgow, UK.
- 18th European Symposium on Poultry Nutrition, 31 October- 04 November, 2011 Çeşme-Izmir-Turkey.
- World Poultry Science Association (UK) Annual Meeting 4th – 5th April 2011, Nottingham, UK
- XIIIth European Poultry Conference, Tours, France, 23-27th August 2010.
- World Poultry Science Association (UK) Annual Meeting 31st March – 1st April 2009, Southport UK
- XXIII World’s Poultry Science Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 30 June- 4 July 2008.
- National conference on ‘Prion Diseases: A threat to livestock and Humans in Pakistan’’ organized by Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, UVAS- (May 20, 2008)
- “Education for wildlife sustainability”. International conference & training workshop for natural Photography and GIS, 30-31st January 2008.
- Workshop on “Necropsy practice and its vetrolegal implementation animals from 25th-30th June, 2007 at Institute of Continuing Education and Extension, UVAS, Lahore
- National Poultry Congress, 25th & 26th August. 2006.
- 34th Pakistan (SAARC) Countries Science Conference, UVAS, Lahore February, 20th -22nd, 2006.
- 14th Asian Common Wealth Veterinary Association Conference Lahore, September 21st -23rd, 2005.
- National Poultry Congress, April 9th & 10th 2004.
- Seminar on Development of Wild Life Education and Research, 26th January 2004, Lahore.
- Training workshop on WTO and its impact on livestock, poultry and fisheries sectors. 20th December 2003, Lahore.
HONOURS AND DISTINCTIONS:
- Highly commended for the British Council’s International student Shine Awards (2011)
- Awarded best theatre presentation at SAC Post-Graduate Conference (2011)
- Selected to represent SAC at the inter-institute PhD competition, UK (2011)
- Won travel grant from WPSA to attend European Poultry Conference, Turkey, 2011
- Selected for the Youth Programme of the XIIIth European Poultry Conference, France, 2010.
- Won Overseas Research Student Award (ORSAS), Scotland UK from university of Glasgow (2009).
- Won travel grant from WPSA to attend XXIII World’s Poultry Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 30 June- 4 July 2008.
- Selected for the Youth Programme of XXIII World’s Poultry Congress, Brisbane, Australia.
- Won travel grant to attend XII European Poultry Conference, Verona, Italy. 2006.