Vision and the commitment to cause are vital virtues to pursue highest ideals in life. The success story of both DNA studies at the global and UVAS level is more or less reflective of the same. We made a very humble start from a 12 x 16 ft room as a DNA studies laboratory in 2006 virtually with no resources available but an ambitious dream and commitment. First PCR run was initiated in the same room and after months of sheer hard work of the team the basic protocols were optimized and a series of regular studies was initiated in the same lab. With its amazing success in carrying out DNA studies the lab was officially recognized as “Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Lab” of UVAS which can now be very rightly claimed as the only leading state-of-art Animal Genomic labs in Pakistan.
But this success story would have never been so without an unconditional and all out administrative and financial support of the Worthy Vice Chancellor who has proved to be a forward looking scientist and scholar with categorically a well defined vision for the future of this alma mater. The Institute continued its achievements in conducting both basic as well as applied research in Animal Genomics and its recognition through a large number of international publications.
The Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology was instituted in September 2009 after the up gradation and union of department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and department of Biochemistry. Currently the undergraduate degree B.S. (Hons) Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and postgraduate degrees (M. Phil/Ph.D) in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, and Forensic Sciences (only M.Phil) are going on with an overall strength of more than 250 students.
This success story will be incomplete if it will not be mentioned and recognized the contributions of highly qualified and dedicated team of scientists of our institute, working flat out 24 hours a day.
Disciplines of IBBt
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Forensic Sciences
Molecular Biology is a branch of biology that deals with the formation, structure and function of macromolecules essential to life such as nucleic acids and proteins, including their role in cell replication and the transmission of genetic information. On the other hand "Biotechnology" is the deliberate manipulation of DNA molecules to produce commercial products from living organisms. Establishment of institution (IBBt) is a land mark that will go a long way to enhance the quality of Research, Academics and technology development in the field of molecular biology and genetics of livestock, human and microbes to the benefit of Pakistani nation. Through high throughput technologies such as Microarray DNA Chip Technology, Whole Genome Analyzer and DNA Sequencing Facilities, faster and rapid gains in identification and selection of superior individuals in respect of disease resistance, better performance and disease control can be accomplished. To explore the molecular basis for life processes through chemical and physical studies on the structure and behavior of complex molecules found in biological materials, biochemistry has emerged as a highly creative and successful discipline. Through characterizing the structure, function, assembly, and dynamic changes of macromolecules, biochemists seek to answer fundamental questions about living processes and to bring significant improvements in the quality of life. Diverse advances have converged to allow the development of recombinant DNA technology for better understanding of metabolic processes and expression of genetic information that assure dynamic advancement in the field of biochemistry. In addition the institute will greatly contribute to improve UVAS ranking within Pakistan and worldwide.
The institute is also acquiring latest technologies and equipment for world class research in the field of molecular biology, genomics, proteomics and applied biotechnology to bring about a revolution in livestock as well as medical fields.
- Selection of Superior Animals through High Throughput Microarray System
- Whole Genome Studies using High throughput DNA Technology
- Tendon Regeneration on Horses Through Stem Cell Technology
- Development of Research Set ups for Transgenics, Stem Cell Technology, Bio-Pharmaceuticals
- Further Strengthening of Collaborative Research Programs with National and Foreign Universities
- Establishment of Research and Applied Animal Forensics in Pakistan for Breed Identity and Parentage Confirmation in Pet animals and Horses.
IBBt wants to make strong collaboration bonds with other teaching and research institutes and facilitates researchers from
- G.C.U. Lahore
- King Edward Medical University, Lahore
- University of Heath Sciences, Lahore
- F.C. College, Lahore
- University of Lahore
- University of the Punjab, Lahore
- Kinnaird College, Lahore
- Fatima Jinnah Medical Collage
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore
- Lady Willingdon Hospital, Lahore
- Shoukat Khanam Cancer Hospital, Lahore
- CEMB, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- School of Biological Sciences, BS, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- MMG, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- NIBGE, Faisalabad.
- Sindh Agriculture University Tandojam, Sindh
- Livestock Development Foundation, Sindh.
- Livestock and Dairy Development Department, Punjab.
- Bovine Functional Genomics Lab, USDA, Beltsville, Baltimore, Washington, DC., USA
- Nova Scotia Agricultural College, Nova Scotia, Canada
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Vienna, Austria
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India.
- University of Namik Kemal, Turkey.