Dr. Muhammad Qamer Shahid
B.Sc. (Hons.) A.H (UAF), M.Phil; L.M (UVAS), PhD; Animal Sciences, University of Minnesota (USA)
Telephone: +92 (49) 4427083 ext. 5021
(HEC Approved supervisor)
Muhammad Qamer Shahid is an Associate professor in the Department of Livestock Production at the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, where he has been a faculty member since 2005. He received his PhD in Animal Sciences from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA. His current research focuses on livestock production under subtropical conditions.
- Dairy animal production
- Transition cow management
- Milking management
- Dairy animal behavior and welfare
- Dairy records integration
- Precision dairy farming
Introduction to Livestock Production (LPRO-2105)
Principles of Dairy Production (LPRO-2710)
Behavior and Welfare of Farm Animals (LSMG-1003)
Recent Advances in Livestock Management (LSMG-1010)
Applied Statistical Tools for Animal Research (LSMG-1012)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Rafiuddin, J. A. Bhatti, M.Q. Shahid, M. Saadullah, H. Mustafa, M. Ahmad, M. A. Nasar, R. Khan and A. Khan. 2018. Effect of replacing maize fodder with maize silage on feed intake, digestibility and milk yield of early-lactation Nili Ravi buffaloes. Pure and Applied Biology. http://dx.doi.org/10.19045/bspab.2018.700136
- Imran M., M.Q. Shahid, T.N. Pasha, and M.N. Haque.2018. Effects of replacing soybean meal with corn gluten meal on milk production and nitrogen efficiency in Holstein cows. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci.48:590-599
- Batool, M., M. Nadeem, M. Imran, N. Gulzar, M.Q. Shahid, M. Shahbaz, M. Ajmal, and I.T. Khan. 2018. Impact of vitamin e and selenium on antioxidant capacity and lipid oxidation of cheddar cheese in accelerated ripening. Lipids Health Dis. 17:1–14.
- Haque, M.N., M.U. Akhtar, R. Munnawar, S. Anwar, A. Khalique, M.A. Tipu, F. Ahmad, and M.Q. Shahid. 2018. Effects of increasing dietary protein supplies on milk yield, milk composition and nitrogen use efficiency in lactating buffalo. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 1–6.
- Magsi, S.H., M.N. Haque, N. Ahmad, and M.Q. Shahid. 2018. Short communication: Stall occupancy behavior of Nili Ravi buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) when first introduced to freestall housing. J. Dairy Sci. 101:1505–1510.
- Imran, M., T.N. Pasha, M.Q. Shahid, I. Babar, and M.N. Haque. 2017. Effect of increasing dietary metabolizable protein on nitrogen efficiency in Holstein dairy cows. Asian- Australasian J. Anim. Sci. 30:660–665.
- Rafiuddin, M. Abdullah, K. Javed, M.A. Jabbar, M.Q. Shahid, P.S. Jan, M. Ramzan, M.A. Khan, and M. Ahmad. 2017. Comparison of silo types on chemical composition and physical quality of silage made from maize, sorghum and oats fodders. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 27:771–775.
- Rafiuddin, M. Abdullah, K. Javed, M. A. Jabbar, M. Q. Shahid, P. S. Jan, M. A. Khan, M. Ramzan, and Hamdullah. 2016. Impact of flowering stage on nutritive value, physical quality and digestibility of silages made from cereal fodders. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 14: 149-157.
- Shahid M. Q., J. K. Reneau, H. Chester-Jones, R. C. Chebel, and M. I. Endres. 2015. Cow- and herd-level risk factors for on-farm mortality in Midwest US dairy herds. J. Dairy Sci. 98:4401-4413
- Shahid, M. Q., M. Abdullah, J. A. Bhatti, K. Javed, M. E. Babar, M. A. Jabbar, and I.A. Zahid. 2012. Machine milking performance of Nili-Ravi buffaloes on different pre-milking stimulation practices. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences 22: 284–287
- N. Ali, M. Q. Shahid, A. Khalique and H. Mustafa. 2019. Estimation of enteric methane emission in lactating buffaloes under different production systems of Pakistan. In Proceedings of International Buffalo Congress-IBC 2019 February, 18-20, 2019, Lahore Pakistan
- Azam B. and M. Q. Shahid (2018). Association of age and weight at first calving with first lactation milk yield and reproductive performance in Nili Ravi buffaloes. In Khurana SK, Dey A, Nayan V, Balhara AK, Sunesh, Jan MH, Singh RK, Singh M, Deeksha, SARAngi A, Panghal S, and Kumar S (Eds.) Climate resilient buffalo production for sustainable livelihood. Book of abstracts: IX Asian Buffalo Congress-2018, Feb. 1-4 (p-27), ICAR- Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes, Hisar, India
- Gohar M., B. Azam and M. Q. Shahid (2018). Association of pre-pubertal growth rate with age at puberty in Nili Ravi buffaloes. In Khurana SK, Dey A, Nayan V, Balhara AK, Sunesh, Jan MH, Singh RK, Singh M, Deeksha, SARAngi A, Panghal S, and Kumar S (Eds.) Climate resilient buafflo production for sustainable livelihood. 1-4 (p-33), ICAR- Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes, Hisar, India
- Shahid, M. Q., E. M. Shane, and M. I. Endres. 2010. Relationship between udder and leg hygiene score and somatic cell count. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 93 (E-Suppl. 1):859 (Abstr.).
- Shahid, M. Q., M. I. Endres, J. K. Reneau, R. Chebel, and H. Chester-Jones. 2011. Mortality patterns in Midwest DHIA herds. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 94 (E-Suppl. 1):16 (Abstr.).
As Principal Investigator,
- Pilot Study on Sustainable Data Recording for Buffalo Production at Commercial Dairy Operations”, under National Research Program for Universities,
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. Amount 0.78 million
Status: In progress
- Collaboration for research and development on Precision Livestock Farming Systems with Elective Technology (Pvt) Lahore.