Dr. Muhammad Abdullah
BSc(Hons) A.H, MSc (Hons) L.M (UAF)
PhD Iowa State University, USA
HEC approved supervisor
Ph (Off.) 92-42-99211449-50 (Ext. 5006) Mob. 0300-6648200
Dr. Muhammad Abdullah is Professor in the Department of Livestock Production, Faculty of Animal Production and Technology, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore–Pakistan. He completed his BSc (Hons) in Animal Husbandry and MSc (Hons) in Livestock Management from the University of Agriculture Faisalabad. He completed his PhD in Dairy Production from Iowa State University (USA). He is an HEC approved supervisor. He has been awarded as best teacher by HEC in 2011.
Areas of Interest
- Dairy Animals Production
- Management and Nutrition
- Principle of Milk Fundamentals & Procurement
- Introduction to Lactation Biology
- Dairy Production
- Lactation Biology
- Best University Teacher Award 2011, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Research Productivity Award 2011, Pakistan Council for Science and Technology, Islamabad
- Research Productivity Award 2013, Pakistan Council for Science and Technology, Islamabad
- Enhancing life time productivity of buffalo through improved feeding and management at different physiological stages. 2011- 2016. Approved for Rs. 20.634 m. Punjab Agricultural Research Board, Lahore
- BC-INSPIRE Transnational Education Partnership Programme. “Up-garadation of modules in molecular genetics and genomics (2014-2016), Rs. 5.200 millions
- Abdullah, M., J. W. Young, H. D. Tyler. 2000. Effect of feeding high forage diets with supplemental fat on feed intake and lactation performance of dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(4):451-456
- Abdullah, M., J. W. Young, H. D. Tyler. 2000. Effect of feeding high forage diets with supplemental fat on blood metabolites, rumen fermentation and dry matter digestibility in dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(4):457-463.
- Mujahid, A., Abdullah, M, Barque A. R., A. H. Gilani. 2000.Nutritional value of different varieties of cottonseed and derived products: I. Physical fractionations and proximate composition. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(3):348-355.
- Mujahid, A., Abdullah, M, Barque A. R., A. H. Gilani. 2000.Nutritional value of different varieties of cottonseed and derived products: II. Free gossypol, available lysine and in vitro protein digestibility. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(3):356-359.
- Nawaz, H., M. Abdullah and M. Yaqoob. 2007. Effect of feeding supplemental tallow on the performance of lactating Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 31(6):389-398
- Nawaz, H., M. Abdullah and M.Yaqoob. 2009. Effect of feeding different sources of supplemental fat on the performance of Nili-Ravi buffalo. Ind. J. Anim. Sci., 79(2): 188-192.
- Fiaz, M., M. Abdullah, Ahmad Ali, T. N. Pasha, M.A. Jabbar, J. A. Bhatti and M. Nasir. 2012 Evaluating varying dietary energy levels for optimum growth and early puberty in Sahiwal heifers. Pakistan J. Zool., 44(3):625-634
- Fiaz, M., M. Abdullah, M. Nasir, K. Javed, M.E. Babar, T.N. Pasha and M. A. Jabbar. 2012. Effect of varying dietary energy levels during last trimester of pregnancy on subsequent first lactation performance in Sahiwal heifers. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 44(5):975-981-7
- Herrick, K.J., A.R. Hippen, K.F. Kalscheur, J.L. Anderson, S.D. Ranathunga, R.S. Patton and M. Abdullah. 2012. Lactation performance and digestibility of forages and diets in dairy cows fed a hemicelluloses extract. J. Dairy Sci. 95(6):3342-3353
- Shahid, M.Q., M. Abdullah, J.A. Bhatti, K. Javed, M.A. Jabbar and I.A. Zahid. 2012. Machine milking performance of Nili-Ravi buffaloes on different pre-milking stimulation practices. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 22(3):284-287
- Nadeem, M., I. Hussain and M. Abdullah. 2013. Effect of feeding calcium salts of soybean oil on physical and chemical characteristics of milk in cows. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 83(8):811-814
- Abdullah, M., Z.M. Iqbal, M. Saadullah, A. Haque, K. Javed, M.A. Jabbar and A. Tauseef. 2013. Comparative performance of calves fed milk and/or milk replacer supplemented with calf starter up to weaning age in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Buffalo Bulletin, 32(2):874-877
- Shahzad, F., A.S. Chaudhary, M. Abdullah, J.A. Bhatti, M.A. Jabbar, K. Javed and A. Rehman. 2013. Novel methods to improve the nutritive value of low quality roughages for Nili-Ravi buffalo calves. Buffalo Bulletin, 32(2):890-893
- Iqbal.Z., M. Abdullah, K. Javed, J.A. Bhatti, M.A. Jabbar and N. Ahmad. 2014. Comparative performance of Sahiwal calves fed whole milk and milk replacer with or without calf starter. J. Anim. Plant Sci., 24(Suppl. 1):48-51.
- Muhammad, M.S., M. Abdullah, M.S. Khan, K. Javed and M.A. Jabbar, 2015. Goat production systems in Punjab, Pakistan. J. Anim. Plant Sci., 25(3):618-624
- National Seminar on “Dairy Farming – A Profitable Future Enterprise” under ALP-PARC funded project, UVAS, Ravi Campus, Pattoki, April 7, 2010.
- National Seminar on “Sahiwal Cattle – A Promising Dairy Animal of Pakistan” under ALP-PARC funded project, UVAS, Ravi Campus, Pattoki, June 23, 2011.
- Workshop on “Up-gradation of Modules in Molecular Genetics and Genomics”, BC – INSPIRE Transnational Education Partnership Programme, March 19, 2015.
- American Society of Animal Science, annual meeting, August 11-14, 1991, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, USA.
- American Dairy Science Association 87th annual meeting, June 21-24, 1992, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- American Dairy Science Association 88th annual meeting, June 13-16, 1993, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA.
- American Society of Animal Science and American Dairy Science Association Joint meeting, July 12-15, 1994, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. (Paper Presented).
- International Animal Agriculture and Food Science Conference. ADSA-ASAS Joint Meeting, July 24-28, 2001, Indianapolis, IN, USA.
- XII AAAP Congress. “Challenges of Animal Industry for the wellbeing of mankind”, September 18-22, 2006, BEXCO, Busan, Republic of Korea
- 13th AAAP Congress. “Challenges of Animal Industry for the wellbeing of mankind”, September 22 -26, 2008, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 6th Asian Buffalo Congress. Buffalo- Prospective Animal for Milk and Meat Enterprise. Asian Buffalo Association. 27-30 October, 2009. PC Hotel Lahore, Pakistan
- ADSA/ASAS Joint Annual Meeting, july 10-14, 2011, New Orleans, LA, USA (4 Presentations)
- USAHA/AAVLD Annual Meeting, September 29 – October 05, 2011, Adam’s Mark Hotel, Buffalo, NY, USA.
- XI International Conference on Goats, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 23-27 September, 2012
- 10th World / 7th Asian Buffalo Congress, May 6-8, 2013, Phuket, Thailand.
- VIII Asian Buffalo Congress, Istanbul, Turkey, April 21-25, 2015
- Establishment of Students Services Centre at UVAS Lahore (2004-07) Approved and funded by Higher Education Commission, Islamabad for Rs. 36.373 millions.
- Establishment of Small Ruminants Training and Research Centre at UVAS New Campus Pattoki (2005-07) Approved and funded by Higher Education Commission, Islamabad for Rs. 38.050 millions.
- Establishment of Dairy Animals Training and Research Centre at UVAS New Campus Pattoki (2006-09) Approved and funded by Planning Commission, Islamabad for Rs. 218.000 millions.
- Dairy Training and Development Centre at UVAS New Campus Pattoki. (2006-09) Approved and funded by Planning Commission, Islamabad for Rs. 109.815 millions
- CHEEN KA CHILLAH (Forty Days in China) (Urdu). 2009. Maktabah Aalia, Lahore
- A HAND BOOK OF DAIRY NUTRITION FOR PAKISTAN (Lead Author). 2009. American Soybean Association, USA
- HEALTH AND HUSBANDRY OF DAIRY ANIMALS; ISBN: 978.9698237.37.0 (2008) Ch: Feeding Dairy Animals. Pak TM Printers, Faisalabad, Pakistan
- FEED AND FODDER (Urdu). 1995. A Text Book for Stock Assistants and Field Assistants, FAO/UNDP,
- Extension Services Management Academy, Garhi Dopatta, Muzaffarabad, AJK.
- WORLD FOOD DAY (1996) Fighting Hunger and Malnutrition (Monograph) FAO/UNDP, Extension Services
- Management Academy, Garhi Dopatta, Muzaffarabad, AJK.
- MICRO ANALYSIS OF LIVESTOCK SECTOR IN RELATION TO AGRICULTURE AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VISION 2020 (STATUS PAPER). 2007. University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan
- A study to determine the extent of use of oxytocin for milk ejection in buffaloes and cows in and around Faisalabad. M.Sc. (Hons.) Thesis Research
- Comparative performances of black and brown buffaloes , a survey based study
- Effects of feeding high-forage diets and replacing nonstructural carbohydrates with supplemental fat in dairy cows. Ph.D. Dissertation Research, Iowa State University, Ames, USA
- Economical beef production from buffalo and cow calves under different management systems. 1996. Department of Livestock Management, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad (Rs. 138,000)
- Weight gain in Beetal goats under two different feeding systems. 1995-96. Department of Livestock management, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
- Effect of feeding supplemental fat to lactating buffaloes. Department of Animal Nutrition, University of agriculture, Faisalabad
- Improved fodder and seed production in central irrigated Punjab. FAO project, TCP/PAK/4452.
- Influence of supplementing dicalcium phosphate (DCP) on the performance of pregnant and lactating buffaloes and their calves. University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
- Effect of pasture fertilization with urea and Ammonium sulfate on feed intake in sheep (OARDC, Wooster OH, USA)
- Effect of limit-fed corn based diets on N and P metabolism in sheep (OARDC, Wooster OH,USA)
- A study to determine the prevalence of mastitis and management approach for its control around Faisalabad
- Feeding management for optimum growth, early maturity and first lactation performance in Sahiwal cattle. 2007. ALP, PARC, Islamabad (Rs. 6.669 mil.)
- Nutritional Characteristics and Ruminal Digestibility of Nutrients of Corn Co-Products of Cellulosic Ethanol Production. 2009. South Dakota State University, USA
- Performance of Lactating Dairy Cows fed Hemicellulose Extract --- Temulose. 2009. Temple Inland, USA (US $ 17,780/-)
- Member, American Dairy Science Association (2014, Since 1991), Urbana Champaign, IL, USA.
- Member, Accreditation Inspection Committee, National Agricultural Education Accreditation Council, HEC, Islamabad.
- Member, Peer Review Committee on Agriculture, Pakistan Council for Science and Technology, Islamabad
- Member, National Curriculum Revision Committee, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad.
- Member, Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council, Islamabad, Pakistan