Nutrition is the science that deals with food and its components in relation to human body whereas Dietetics is the practical application of this scientific knowledge for improving and maintaining human health. Both Nutrition and Dietetics are well established disciplines in the developed world and are significantly contributing towards better human health. Unfortunately, neglecting this important sector, in developing countries like Pakistan, has badly affected people`s health at all stages of life. The role of nutrition (dietetics) in the prevention and management of diseases is largely un-explored due to the nonexistence of this vital discipline in the country. Keeping in view the core significance and vast scope, the Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition is offering five years degree program, “Doctor of Nutrition & Dietetics (DND)” (Morning/Evening).
This degree program will enable the students to excel professionally in the field of dietetics and public health through meeting today’s market requirements. The students after graduation will be able to demonstrate their expertise in multiple fields:
- As dietitians in hospitals and private clinics providing medical nutrition therapy and nutritional counseling.
- As community nutritionists working with different national and international organizations imparting nutrition education and awareness regarding healthy eating habits in the rural areas for the prevention of nutritional diseases and promotion of health.
- As nutritionists for public and private sector organizations dealing with nutrition supplements.
- As nutrition supervisors in basic health units in different districts of Punjab.
- As nutrition officers and researchers in the nutrition wing of health department.
- As course instructor of nutrition and dietetics in education organizations.