Prof. Dr. Nasim Ahmad, SI
DVM, M.Sc. (Hons), (UAF),
Ph.D (WVU, USA)
Tel: +92 42 9211374 Ext: 189
Mobile: +92 300 4800650
Fax: +92 42 99211461
HEC Approved Supervisor
Prof. Dr. Nasim Ahmad graduated in Veterinary Medicine (DVM) in 1981 and received his Master’s degree (MSc Hons) in Animal Reproduction in 1984, from the College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore and in 1996 PhD in Reproductive Physiology from West Virginia University, USA. Dr. Ahmad is presently working as Professor Emeritus in department of Theriogenology UVAS. He recently served as first Pro Vice Chancellor and Director ORIC and Professor (Tenured) at UVAS. He earlier served as Dean Faculty of Life Sciences and Business Management/ Dean, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chairman of Department of Theriogenology at the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. His research interests are improving fertility through enhancing post-thaw semen quality and optimizing protocols of estrus synchronization and ovulation. Earlier, he directed male infertility laboratory (for human) in New York. He is credited in introducing the use of ultrasonography in Animal Reproduction research, training and extension in Pakistan. Prof. Dr. Ahmad is author of more than seventy publications in high impact factor journals. His total impact factor is about 87.513. He has more than 1510 citations.
He is a regular reviewer for Theriogenology and Animal Reproduction Science. He has won competitive research grants as PI worth more than Rs. 39.3 million and development projects of more than Rs. 474 million. He has supervised or co-supervised fifty six Master’s and two Doctoral students. He is the current President of Society for Animal Reproduction of Pakistan. He remained Honorary Secretary of Society of Prevention of Cruelty of Animals, Punjab. In recognition of his research work and he has been awarded “PARC Scientist of the year: 1999”, Research Productivity Allowance three times from PCST, ‘Best University Teacher’ Award for the year 2007 from HEC and Sitara-e-Imtiaz 2008, Presidential Civil Award.
Area of Interest
Reproductive Physiology, Andrology, Fertility, Synchronization, Reproductive Ultrasonography
- M.S. Haider, M. Hassan, A.S. Khan, A. Husnain, M. Bilal, J.R. Pursley, N. Ahmad. Pregnancy rates after timed insemination following removal of intravaginal progesterone releasing device with or without gonadotropin-releasing hormone in Nili-Ravi buffalo. (Submitted in ARS July 2015 IF:1.5)
- Muhammad R Yousuf; J.P N Martin; Ali Husnain; Hasan Riaz; Abdul Sattar; Khalid Javed; Nasim Ahmad. Effect of Estradiol Benzoate on Estrus Intensity and Pregnancy Rate in CIDR treated anestrus heifers and adult Buffaloes 2015) Animal Reproduction Science (Impact Factor: 1.58). 06/2015; DOI: 10.1016/j.anireprosci.2015.06.003
- Mushtaq Ahmad, Rashad Nasrullah, Nasim Ahmad. Effect of cooling rate and equilibration time on pre-freeze and post-thaw survival of buck sperm. Cryobiology. 2015, 70: 233–238. IF: 1.587
- Mushtaq Ahmad, Nasim Ahmad, Amjad Riaz, and Muhammad Anzar. Sperm survival kinetics in different types of bull semen: Progressive motility, plasma membrane integrity, acrosomal status and reactive oxygen species generation. Reproduction, Fertility and Development. 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/RD13400 IF. 2.583
- Ahmad E, Ahmad N, Naseer. Z. Association of Scrotal Circumference with Sperm production and Semen Quality in Sahiwal Bulls. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. 2014, 34(2): 265-266. IF: 1.392
- Ahmad M, Nusrullah R. Riaz H, Sattar A, Ahmad N. Changes in motility, plasma membrane and acrosomal integrity and morphology during cryopreservation of buck sperm. Journal of South African Veterinary Association 2014. Feb 28;85(1):972. doi: 10.4102/jsava.v85i1.972. IF: 0.50
- Hassan Mahmood Warriach, Mushtaq Memon, Nasim Ahmad, Scott Norman, Abdul Ghaffar, Muhammad Arif. Reproductive Performance of Arabian and Thoroughbred Mares under Subtropical Conditions of Pakistan. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. 2014. 27(7): 932–936. IF: 0.6
- Sattar A, Qamar AY, Ahmad N. Cholesterol enhances post-thaw semen quality in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). 10th World Buffalo Congress (Thailand). Buffalo Bulletin 2013, 370-374 IF: 0.06
- Raza S, Rabbani M, Ahmad N, Sheikh AA, Muhammad K, Akhtar F, Habib ur Rehman. Utrine Microbial Flora of Nili-Ravi Buffalo during Estrus and its Relationship with Pregnancy Rate in Pakisatan. Buffalo Bulletin. 2013. 564-567. IF: 0.06
- Ahmad N, Ahmad E, Naseer Z, Riaz U, Husnain A. 2013. Effect of Improving Reproductive Management on Dairy Farm Economics). Buffalo Bulletin 2013; 32 (special issue 2) 464-467 IF: 0.06.
- Ejaz Ahmad, Zahid Naseer, Nasim Ahmad. High trehalose concentration in Tris-Based egg yolk extender has detrimental effect on post-thaw semen quality in Nili-Ravi buffalo bull. Animal Health Prod and Hyg (Turkey) (2013) 2(2): 213-215.
- Riaz H, Ahmad N. Ovarian follicular dynamics around estrus in Beetal and Teddy goats. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. 2012. 33: 120-122. IF: 1.25
- Mehmood MU, Mehmood S, Riaz A, Ahmad N, Sattar A. Superovulatory response in summer anestrus buffaloes and cattle treated with estrus synchronization protocol. Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences 2012: 22(4): 888-893. IF: 0.63
- Naseer Z, Ahmad N, Khan MIR, Ahmad E, Tahir MZ, Singh J. Effect of GnRH and Estradiol Benzoate on Follicular Wave Emergence, Estrus, Ovulation and Pregnancy Rate in CIDR Treated Nili-Ravi Buffaloes. Journal of Animal and Plants Science 2012. 22 (3 Suppl.):142-146. IF: 0.25
- Naseer Z, Ahmad E, Singh J, Ahmad N. Fertility Following CIDR Based Synchronization Regimens in Anoestrous Nili-Ravi Buffaloes. Reprod Domest Anim. 2011 Oct; 46(5):814-7.
- Riaz H, Sattar M A, Arshad M A, Ahmad N. Effect of synchronization protocols (Ovsynch vs 2PG) and GnRH on reproductive performance in goats. Small Ruminant Research. 2011 65, 279-283.
- Khan, MIR, Rana MA, and Ahmad N. Ultrasonic monitoring of follicles and corpora lutea during synchronization and superovulation in summer anoestrous Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 2005; 25:82-86.
- Warriach HM and Ahmad N. Follicular waves during the oestrus cycle in Nili-Ravi buffaloes undergoing spontaneous and PGF2a-induced luteolysis. Anim Reprod. Sci. 2007 Oct 101(3-4):332-7
- Warriach HM, Channa AA and Ahmad N. Effect of oestrus synchronization methods on oestrus behaviour, timing of ovulation and pregnancy rate during the breeding and low breeding season in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Anim Reprod Sci. 2008 Aug; 107(1-2):62-7.
- Ahmad Z, Anzar M, Shahab M, Ahmad N, and Andrabi, SMH. Sephadex and sephadex ion-exchange filtration improves the quality and freezability of low grade buffalo semen ejaculates. Theriogenology 2003; 59: 1189-1202
- Hasan S, Andrabi SMH, Munir R, Anzar M, Ahmad N. Effect of a new antibiotic combination on post-thaw motion characteristics of buffalo and Sahiwal bull spermatozoa and bacteriological quality of their semen. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 2001; 21:6-12
- Rasul Z, Ahmad N, Anzar M. Changes in motion characteristics, plasma membrane integrity, and acrosome morphology during cryopreservation of buffalo spermatozoa. Journal of Andrology 2001; 22:278-283
- Usmani RH, Ahmad N, Parveen S. Effect of sub-clinical uterine infection on uterine involution estrus activity and fertility in postpartum buffaloes. Theriogenology 2001 55: 563-571
- Rasul Z, Anzar M, Samina J, Ahmad N. Effect of buffering systems on post-thaw motion characteristics, plasma membrane integrity, and acrosome morphology of buffalo spermatozoa. Animal Reproduction Science 2000; 59:31-41.
- Ahmad N, Townsend EC, Dailey RA, Inskeep EK. Relationships of hormonal patterns and fertility to occurrence of two or three waves of ovarian follicles, before and after breeding, in beef cows and heifers. Animal Reproduction Science 1997; 49:13-28
- Shahab M, Khurshid S, Arslan M, Ahmad N. Ontogeny of estradiol secretion in Nili-Ravi buffalo bulls. Theriogenology 1993; 39:1235-1243.
- Ahmad N, Shahab M, Anzar M, Arslan M. Changes in the behaviour and androgen levels during pubertal development of the buffalo bull. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 1991; 32:101-105.
- Ahmad N, Shahab M, Khurshid S, Arslan M. Pubertal development in the male buffalo buffalo: Longitudinal analysis of body growth, testicular size and serum profiles of testosterone and oestradiol. Animal Reproduction Science 1989; 19:161-170
- Ahmad N, Ahmad M, Anzar M, Khan IH, Arslan M. Morphology of reproductive organs and related endocrine glands in newborn male buffaloes. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 1988; 8:159-163
- Ahmad M, Latif M, Ahmad M, Khan IH, Ahmad N, Anzar M. Postmortem studies on infertile buffalo bulls: Anatomical and microbiological findings. Veterinary Record 1985; 117:104-109.
- Ahmad N, Schrick FN, Butcher RL, Inskeep EK. Effect of persistent follicles on early embryonic losses in beef cows. Biology of Reproduction 1995; 52:1129-1135.
- Buford, WI, Ahmad N, Schrick FN, Butcher RL, Lewis PE, Inskeep EK. Embrotoxicity of a regressing corpus luteum in beef cows supplemented with progestogen. Biology of Reproduction 1996; 54:531-537
- Cooperative Regional Research Project NE-161. (Ahmad N, Beam SW, Butler WR, Deaver DR, Duby RT, Elder DR, Griel Jr. LC, Fortune JE, Jones LS, Milvae RA, Pate JL, Revah I, Schreiber Jr. DT, Townson DH, Tsang PCW, Inskeep EK.) Relationship of fertility to patterns of ovarian follicular development and associated hormonal profiles in dairy cows and heifers. Journal of Animal Science 1996; 74:1943-1952
- Ahmad M, Latif M, Ahmad M, Ahmad N, Anzar M, Khan IH. Infertility and its causes in male Nili-Ravi buffalo. Proc. Nat. Sem. Buff. Prod. (Lahore) 1983; 1:40-61.
- Ahmad M, Latif M, Ahmad M, Nazir M, Ahmad N, Anzar M. Reproductive ability of Nili-Ravi buffalo bulls. Proc. Nat. Sem. Buff. Prod. (Lahore) 1983; 1:62-84.
- Ahmad N, Qazi MH, Arslan M. Effect of intravenous and intratesticular administration of hCG and serum testosterone levels in adult Nili-Ravi buffalo bulls. Proc. First World Buff. Congr. (Cairo) 1985: 1148-1150.
- Ahmad N, Ahmad M, Arslan M. Body weight and scrotal size in relation to age and time of first ejaculation in pubertal Nili-Ravi buffalo bulls. Ind. J. Anim. Reprod. 1985; 6:138-139.
- Anzar M, Ahmad N, Ahmad M. Postthaw motility and longevity of buffalo spermatozoa in different extenders. Ind. J. Anim. Reprod. 1985; 6:181.
- Arslan M, Aliya S, Ahmad N. In vitro androgen production by prepubertal buffalo testis: Effect of pretreatment with LHRH and testosterone. Proc. Intr. Symp. Milk Buff. Reprod. Eds. Richter W, Heuer C, Anwar M. Eschborn (Islamabad) 1987: 332-350.
- Ullah A, Saeed MA, Yaqoob T, Ahmad N. Effect of norgestomet and GnRH on induction of estrus and fertility in postpartum non suckled Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Proc. (Contributing Papers) 7th World Buffalo Congress, Manila, Philippines 2004; 698-701.
- N Ahmad. Maximization of reproductive efficiency in buffalo bulls. Proc. Nat. Seminar on Livestock Breed Improvement (PSAR) Lahore 2004; 11-13.
- Samad H A, Ahmad N, Warriach HM, Hanif S, Chaudhry SA, Reproductive management in dairy animals, Proc. International Livestock and Poultry Congress (ILPC), Lahore 2007; 29-31.
- Ahmad N, Khan M I, Warriach HM, Samad H. Management of Reproductive health in dairy cows and buffaloes. Proc. National Seminar on Animal Health-Reflections and Future Horizons. 68-73.
- Ahmad N, Naseer Z, Ahmad E. Recent advances in the synchronization in Nili Ravi buffaloes. ISSARCON,10-12 November 2010. Pantnagar, Uttarakhand, India.