M.Sc. Chemistry (UAF), Ph.D. Chemistry (UAF)
Dr. Mateen Abbas, is an Associate Professor at Quality Operations Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. He holds M.Sc and Ph.D degree in Chemistry from University of Agriculture, Faisalabad. He is also a Hafiz-i-Quran. Dr. Mateen’s fundamental expertise is in the field of Organic Chemistry and Analytical techniques especially HPLC, GC, GCMS, LCMS, Atomic Absorption etc. He has also obtained different trainings on Instrumentations and ISO-17025 related training. He is also acting as a Deputy Quality Manager as well as Technical Manager for ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation-related activities at Quality Operations Laboratory, and has successfully completed the ISO-17025 Assessor training course organized by Pakistan National Accreditation Council.
Area of Interest
- Analytical Techniques especially Chromatography (HPLC, GC, GCMS, LCMS)
- Mycotoxins residue testing in Foods (Milk and Meat) of Animal Origin and Feed.
- Drug residue analysis and Pesticides analysis
- Method development and Validation
- Pharmacokinetics of drugs in human and animals
- Determination of Pharmaceutical drugs in Human Blood and other biological fluids
- Organic acids, Phenolic acids, Flavonols and Vitamins estimation
- Abbas, M., R. Nawaz, M. Shahid, M. Nawaz, M. Alim and M.R. Asi (2009). Evaluation of urinary excretion and renal clearance of deferiprone, creatinine, iron and zinc in human. Asian J of Chem. 21(6): 4583-4592.
- Alim, M., R. Nawaz, M. Shahid, Abbas, S.Z. Iqbal and M.R. Asi (2010). Biokinetic study of pioglitazone in female volunteers by a validated high performance liquid chromatography method. Saudi Med J. 31(2): 447-448.
- Khushi M. M. Y. Tipu, Mateen, A. Muqeet Khan, and Aftab Ahmad (2010). Monitoring of Aflatoxin M1 in Market Raw Milk in Lahore City, Pakistan. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 42(6), pp. 697-700, 2010.
- Muhammad Alim, Rakhshanda Nawaz, Muhammad Rafique Asi, Muhammad Shahid, Shahzad Zafar Iqbal and Mateen Abbas (2011). Study of urinary excretion and renal clearance of Pioglitazone in male volunteers. Asian J of Chem. 23(1): 63-66.
- Mateen Abbas, Awais Shaukat, Muhammad Nawaz, Rakhshanda Nawaz, Tahira Iqbal and Muhammad Saeed. 2010. Bioequivalence of two Formulations of Gabapentin 400 mg Capsules: Single-Dose, Open-Label, Randomized, Two-Period Crossover Comparison in Healthy Pakistani Adult Subjects. Review of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics, International Edition. 24: 116-119.
- Mateen Abbas, Sualeha Riffat, Abdul Muqeet Khan and Muhammad Nawaz (2011). Bioequivalence Evaluation of a Combine Formulation of Pioglitazone/Metformin in Healthy Pakistani Volunteers. J Bioequiv Availab. Volume 3(5): 092-096.
- Y. Tipu, K. Muhammad, M. Abbas, A.M. Khan and S. Ali (2012). Monitoring of Sulfamethoxazole and Sulfadiazine in Chicken Meat in Lahore City, Pakistan. Asian J of Chem. Vol. 24, No. 1; pp: 471-472.
- Mateen Abbas, Rakhshanda Nawaz, Tahira Iqbal, Muhammad Alim and Muhammad Rafique Asi (2012). Quantitative determination of deferiprone in human plasma by reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. Vol. 25, No. 2; pp: 343-348.
- Tahir Mahmood, Farooq Anwar, Mateen Abbas, Mary C. Boyce and Nazamid Sarri (2012). Compositional Variation in Sugars and Organic Acids at Different Maturity Stages in Selected Small Fruits from Pakistan. J. Mol. Sci. 13(2): 1380-1392.
- Tahir Mahmood, Farooq Anwar, Mateen Abbas and Nazamid Saari (2012). Effect of Maturity on Phenolics (Phenolic Acids and Flavonoids) Profile of Strawberry Cultivars and Mulberry Species from Pakistan. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 13(4), 4591-4607.
- Mateen Abbas, Abdul M. Khan, Naila Waheed, Sualeha Riffat, Muhammad Ashraf & Sadia Amin (2012). Bioequivalence Study of Deferiprone in Healthy Pakistani Volunteers. Lat. Am. J. Pharm. 31 (2): 344-347.
- Mateen Abbas, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Muhammad Rafique Asi, Javed Akhtar (2012). Pervasiveness of Aflatoxin in Peanuts Growing in the Area of Pothohar, Pakistan. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 69, pp: 624-627.
- Mateen Abbas, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Sadia Amin, Sualeha Riffat, Muhammad Ashraf and Naila Waheed (2013). Bioequivalence study of montelukast tablets in healthy Pakistani volunteers. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. Vol. 26, No. 2; pp: 255-259.
- U. Rehman, M. Ashraf, M.A. Khan, M.A. Jabbar, M. Abbas and A.M. Khan (2013). Pharmacokinetics of ketoprofen in healthy buffalo calves in pakistan. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 23(2); Page: 416-419.
- Aisha Qayyum, Muzammil Hasan Najmi and Mateen Abbas (2013). Comparative bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of two oral formulations of flurbiprofen: A single-dose, randomized, open-label, two-period, crossover study in Pakistani subjects. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., Vol. 26, No. 6; pp: 1221-1227.
- Bushra munir, Abdul Ghaffar, Tahira Iqbal, Muhammad Yameen, Mateen Abbas, Shagufta kamal, Tanveer Hussain Bokhari and Sadaf Saleem (2013). Hematological and biochemical indices of β-thalassemia Patients on deferiprone therapy. Jokull Journal, Vol. 63, No. 10; pp: 128-135.
- Nazia Rafique, Saadia R. Tariq, Mateen Abbas (2014). Effect of Fe2+ amendment on photodegradation kinetics of imidacloprid in moist soil. Environ Earth Sci. Vol. 71, Issue 6; 2869-2874.
- Wajiha Iram, Tehmina Anjum, Mateen Abbas & Abdul Muqeet Khan (2014). Aflatoxins and ochratoxin A in maize of Punjab, Pakistan. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part B: Vol. 7, No. 1, 57–62.
- Tahir Mahmood, Mateen Abbas, Shaista Ilyas, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Rakhshanda Nawaz (2014). Analysis of Metabolites of Trimethoprim in Urine of Human Male Volunteers. IJCBS, 5: 59-62.
- Aziz ul Hassan, Amtul Bari Tabinda, Mateen Abbas and Abdul Muqeet Khan (2014). Organochlorine and pyrethroid pesticides analysis in dairy milk samples collected from cotton growing belt of punjab, pakistan. Pak. J. Agri. Sci., Vol. 51(2), 331-335.
- M Abbas, AM Khan, S Riffat, MY Tipu, HA Nawaz, M Usman. 2014. Assessment of sex differences in Pharmacokinetics of carvedilol in human. Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences 27 (5), 1265-1269.
- Sumera Zafar, Narjis Naz, Saliha Nazir, Mateen Abbas, and Abdul Muqeet Khan. Analysis of Selected Amino Acids in Different Varieties of Wheat Available in Punjab, Pakistan. Chromatography Research International.
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 867070, 6 pages.
- Aisha Qayyum, Muzammil Hasan Najmi, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Mateen Abbas, Abdul Khaliq Naveed and Ahsan Jameel. 2015. Determination of S- and R-warfarin enantiomers by using modified HPLC method. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp: 1315-1321.
- Wajiha Iram, Tehmina Anjum, Mazhar Iqbal, Abdul Ghaffar & Mateen Abbas. 2015. Mass spectrometric identification and toxicity assessment of degraded products of aflatoxin B1 and B2 by Corymbia citriodora aqueous extracts. Scientific Reports, 5: 14672.
- Ali Sharif, Muhammad Ashraf, Aftab Ahmed Anjum, Aqeel Javeed, Imran Altaf, Muhammad Furqan Akhtar, Mateen Abbas, Bushra Akhtar and Ammara Saleem. 2016. Pharmaceutical wastewater being composite mixture of environmental pollutants may be associated with mutagenicity and genotoxicity. Environ Sci. Pollut. Res. 23(3): 2813-2820.
- Wajiha Iram, Tehmina Anjum, Mazhar Iqbal, Abdul Ghaffar and Mateen Abbas. Structural Elucidation and Toxicity Assessment of Degraded Products of Aflatoxin B1 and B2 by Aqueous Extracts of Trachyspermum ammi. Frontiers in Microbiology, March 2016, Volume 7, Article 346.
- Narjis Naz, Aiza Kashif, Warda Sheikh, Mateen Abbas and Abdul Muqeet Khan. Analysis of Water Soluble Vitamins (Thiamine, Nicotinamide and Pyridoxine) in Fortified Infant Food Products by HPLC. Oriental. J. Chem., Vol. 32(2), 947-953 (2016).
- Wajiha Iram, Tehmina Anjum, Mazhar Iqbal, Abdul Ghaffar, Mateen Abbas and Abdul Muqeet Khan. Structural Analysis and Biological Toxicity of Aflatoxins B1 and B2 Degradation Products Following Detoxification by Ocimum basilicum and Cassia fistula Aqueous Extracts. Frontiers in Microbiology, July 2016, Volume 7, Article 1105.
- Abdul Muqeet khan, Imran Altaf, Shagufta Saeed, Mateen Abbas, Asma Waris, Rukhama Haq, Rasheeda Bashir. Mycotoxin (aflatoxin & ochratoxin) and pesticide residues in Capsicum frutescents in punjab, Pakistan. IJBPAS, July, 2016, 5(7): 1646-1654
- Narjis Naz, Aiza Kashif, Kinza Kanwal, Abdul Muqeet Khan, and Mateen Abbas. Quantitative Scrutinization of Aflatoxins in Different Spices from Pakistan. International Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Volume 2016, Article ID 4907425, 7 pages.
- Hina Ali, Narjis Naz, Mateen Abbas and Abdul Muqeet Khan. Quantitative analysis of Quercetin in vegetable pulps and peels. J. Agric. Res., 2016 Vol. 54(1): 75-83.
- Ghazala Riaz, Amtul Bari Tabinda, Shakir Iqbal, Abdullah Yasar, Mateen Abbas, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Yusra Mahfooz & Mujtaba Baqar. 2017. Phytoremediation of organochlorine and pyrethroids pesticides by aquatic macrophytes and algae in freshwater system. International Journal of Phytoremediation, 19(10): 894-898.
- Mateen Abbas and Muhammad Awais Khalid. Mini Review on the Consequences of Pesticides Exposure in Dairy Animal. Journal of Dairy and Veterinary Sciences. 2017; 4(2): 555635. DOI:10.19080/JDVS.2017.03.555635
- Shazia Akram Ghumman, Sajid Bashir, Sobia Noreen, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Sualeha Riffat, Mateen Abbas. Polymeric microspheres of okra mucilage and alginate for the controlled release of oxcarbazepine: In vitro & in vivo evaluation International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 111 (2018) 1156–1165.
- Wajiha Iram, Tehmina Anjum, Rasheda Jabeen and Mateen Abbas. Isolation of Stored Maize Mycoflora, Identification of Aflatoxigenic Fungi and its Inhibition using Medicinal Plant Extracts. International Journal of Agriculture & Biology. Vol. 20, No. 9, 2018
- Hafiz Awais Nawaz, Muhammad Irfan Masood, Mateen Abbas, Muhammad Usman, Abdul Muqeet Khan, Huma Rasheed, Sualeha Riffat. 2019. Evaluation of gender difference in pharmacokinetics of candesartan cilexetil in the fasted state by RP-HPLC: A single dose comparative study, Vol.32, No.3, pp: 1019-1024.
- Saba Sana, Aftab Ahmad Anjum, Tahir Yaqub, Muhammad Nasir, Muhammad Asad Ali and Mateen Abbas. Molecular Approaches for Characterization of Aflatoxin Producing Aspergillus flavus Isolates from Poultry Feed. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. 39(02):169-174 · April 2019. DOI: 29261/pakvetj/2019.031
- Nabiha abdullah, Fizza karamat, Shaista Qamar, Mateen Abbas, Abdul Muqeet Khan and Naseem Ullah. 2019. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for Simultaneous quantification of sulfacetamide sodium and Prednisolone sodium phosphate Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica-Drug Research, Vol. 76, No. 1 pp. 37-47.
- Narjis Naz, Mateen Abbas*, Anam Rubab, Kinza Kanwal. Occurrence of Aflatoxin M1 in Milk-based Mithae samples from Pakistan. Open Chem., December 2019; 17(1): 1140–1145. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/chem-2019-0123
- Anjum, W. Iram, M. Iqbal, A. Ghaffar, M. Abbas. 2020. Identification of degradation products of aflatoxin B1 and B2 resulting after their biodetoxification by aqueous extracts of Acacia nilotica. World Mycotoxin Journal: 13 (4)- Pages: 499 – 514. https://doi.org/10.3920/WMJ2018.2411
- Rabia Saleem, Humaira Majeed Khan, Muhammad Usman, Muhammad Imran Khokhar, Huma Rasheed, Mateen Abbas, Rizwan Rasul Khan, Zunair Maqsood, Madiha Zaman. Population Pharmacokinetics of Ciprofloxacin in Pakistani Patients Suffering from Enteric Fever: International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2021 Jan; 59(1): 47-54. doi: 10.5414/CP203823
- Madiha Zaman, Humaira Majeed Khan, Muhammad Usman, Muhammad Imran Khokhar, Huma Rasheed, Rizwan Rasul Khan, Mateen Abbas, Rabia Saleem. Population pharmacokinetics of meropenem among post-operative patients in Pakistan: International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2021. Volume 59 (5): (398 – 408). DOI: 5414/CP203790
- Koloko Brice Landry, Shafiq Azam, Sidra Rehman, Somayya Tariq, Bushra Iqbal, Mateen Abbas, Dieudonné Massoma Lembè, Bushra Ijaz. Phytochemical analysis of Berberis lyceum methanolic extract and its antiviral activity through the restoration of MAPK signaling pathway modulated by HCV NS5A. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 2021; 11(3): 132-140. doi: 10.4103/2221-1691.306133
|Sr. No.||Title||Funded by||Cost||Worked as||Status|
|1||Isolation, purification and characterization of Mycotoxins produced by Fusarium|
|PHEC||8.0 Million||Co-Principle Investigator (Co-PI)||Continue|
|2||Population pharmacokinetics of antibiotics in Pakistani population||HEC||1.98 Million||Co-Principle Investigator (Co-PI)||Completed|
|3||Prevalence and degradation of pesticide residues in feed and milk||PARB||7.28 Million||Principle Investigator|
|4||Bioequivalence of Sitagliptin/ metformin 50/500 mg tablets||Highnoon pharma. (pvt) Ltd. Lahore||1.5 Million||Co-PI||Completed|
|5||A clinical study on pharmacokinetic comparison of renessans. (A single dose study in animals and humans)||MTI Medical (pvt) Ltd.||1.0 Million||Co-PI||Completed|
|6||Preparation of nasal spray of Ondansetron and pharmacokinetic comparison with tablets and injection.||International health & Clinical Research, USA||10,000 USD||Co-PI||Completed|
|7||Bioequivalence study of Diclofenac potassium in healthy human||Hilton Pharma. (pvt), Karachi||1.0 Million||Co-PI||Completed|
|8||Bioequivalence study of Pioglitazone and Metformin in healthy human||Hilton Pharma. (pvt), Karachi||1.5 Million||Co-PI||Completed|
- Three months training on the use and maintenance of High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for determination of pharmaceutical drugs at NIAB, Faisalabad from 28th March to 28th June, 2007.
- WHO workshop on prequalification program for medicines. 21-25th April, 2008.
- Five-day Assessor training course on ISO 17025 from 24th to 28th June, 2009.
- Training of High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) conducted by H.A. Shah & Sons from 18-02-2010 to 19-02-2010.
- Training workshops on ISO-17025:2005 from 14th February to 1st March 2011 organized by Quality Operations Laboratory, UVAS, Lahore
- “Training course on Accreditation of Halal Certification Bodies based on PS 4992, TORs of Halal Accreditation Committee (HAC)” conducted by Pakistan National Accreditation Council (PNAC) on 08th April 2014 at Marriot Hotel, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- In-Service Competency Enhancement Training for Teachers (I-SCETT), 2nd – 6th June, 2014
- Hands-on-training on CHARM Sciences products (CHARM-EZ & CHARM EZM) in September, 2017.