Prof. Dr. Asim Aslam
DVM (UAF), M.Sc. Hons. Pathology (UAF), Ph.D. Pathology (UVAS), Post Doc (Pirbright institute, UK)
HEC Approved Supervisor
Prof. Dr. Asim Aslam, is currently working as Chairman, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan. He got his Secondary and Higher Secondary School Certificates from Aitchison College Lahore, DVM and M.Sc (Hons.) in Pathology from University of Agriculture, Faisalabad and PhD in Pathology from University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. He completed his Post Doc from Pirbright institute (IAH), United Kingdom. His sphere of work includes teaching, research, clinical & laboratory work, which include postmortem examination, laboratory examination of blood through hematology and chemistry analyzer, urinalysis, Histopathology of morbid tissues and biopsy by using conventional methods as well as cryostat, Molecular diagnosis of diseases through Polymerase Chain Reaction, Image analysis and Fluorescent and confocal Microscopy. Prof. Dr. Asim Aslam has got 21 years of teaching and research experience as Pathologist. He has published research and extension articles in various journals and magazines. He has produced 35 postgraduate students as supervisor and 75 as member of supervisory committee. Prof. Asim Aslam is working as officer In-Charge, University library, principal officer Medical Health, convener discipline committee and patron UVAS debating society.
Areas of Interest:
His field of interest is Clinical Pathology and Poultry Pathology. He has experience in Molecular diagnosis of diseases through PCR, Immunohistochemistry, Fluorescent and Confocal Microscopy.
- Co-Author of the “Manual of Necropsy Practice.”
- Co-Author of the “Manual of Clinical Pathology.”
- Co-Author of the “Manual of Poultry Pathology.”
- Co-Author of the “Manual of General Pathology.
- Co-Author of the “Manual of Systemic Pathology.”
- Author of “Basic Pathology” text book for Livestock Assistant Diploma.
- Umar S, Younus M, Rehman MU, Aslam A, Shah MA, Munir MT, Hussain S, Iqbal F, Fiaz M, Ullah S. (2015) Role of aflatoxin toxicity on transmissibility and pathogenicity of H9N2 avian influenza virus in turkeys. Avian Pathol. 1:1-22.
- B. Zahid, G. Saleem, A. Aslam, MS Imran and M. Younas (2015) Effects of immunostimulants on humoral response against infectious bursal disease in broilers Pak Vet J, 35 (2) 227-230
- T Munir, A Aslam, B Zahid, I Ahmed, MS Imran and M Ijaz (2015) Potential of Commonly Resident Wild Birds towards Newcastle Disease Virus Transmission Pak Vet J, 35 (1) 106-107
- R. Aslam, A. Aslam, Y. Tipu, J. Nazir, A. Ghafoor and S. Fatima (2015) Histopathological and immunohistochemical studies for the pathogenesis of a low pathogenicity H9 avian influenza virus in experimentally infected commercial broilers. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 25(1): 45-52
- M. Shahzad, M.U. R.Khan, A. Aslam, M.Younus, H.M.Khan, A. A. Anjum and S.Masood (2014) Dimunition of Ochratoxin A and Aflatoxin B1 Toxicity on Hematology and Serum Biochemistry of Japanese Quail (Coturnix japonica) The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 24(4): 1032-1038
- R. Akhtar, M. Sardar, N. Saima, G. Saleem, S. Imran and A. Aslam (2014) Responses of Nili-Ravi buffalo to aflatoxin B1with and without toxin adsorbents. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences, 23, 2014, 317–323
- H. Yasir Ahmad, S. Masood, H. Zaneb, A. Aslam, A. Sikandar, M. Adil, I. Irshad, K. Khan and R. Tamkeen (2014) Comparative Effects of Organic Acids Fed Diet on Morphometry of Visceral Organs and Intestinal Histology of Two Broiler Strains. Global Veterinaria 13 (2): 221-226
- Arfat Y.S., A A Sheikh, M Rabbani, A Aslam., T. Bibi, F Liaqat, J Muhammad and S F Rehmani (2014) Antibacterial activity of herbal extracts against multidrug resistant Escherichia coli recovered from retail chicken meat. Vol 25 (2) JAPS / 4357
- Yasir A., A Aslam., K Anwar., M Rauf., M Shahid (2013) Immuno-pathological response of pigeons to challenge infection of Newcastle disease virus (NDV). Submitted for publication in PVJ.
- Khurshaid A., A Aslam., M Mujtaba., A Din., Y Amin., I Khan., R. Wali (2013) Prevalence of indigestible rumen and reticulum foreign bodies in achai cattle at different regions of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Submitted in Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences.
- Khurshaid A., A Aslam., M.Y. Rana., M.S. Khan., Y. Amin (2013) Clinicopathological changes induced by heat stress, their resolution by minerals and Vitamin C supplementation in quails. Submitted for publication in PVJ
- Cheema A. H, Ahmed I, Mustafa G, Aslam A. 2012. Peracute canine hepatitis. Pak Vet J. 23: 157-159
- Tahir. Y., S. Sadaf., N. Mukhtar., H. Zaneb., M. Z. Shabbir, A. Ahmad, A. Aslam., K. Ashraf., N. Ahmad., H. Rehman (2012) The influence of time elasped after milking and lactation stage on the lactoperoxidase system of milk in Sahiwal Cattle and Nili-Ravi buffaloes (2012) Int. J. Dairy. Tech. 65 (2) 360-364
- Naveed. K., Y. Tipu, A. Aslam, M.Younus, H.R. Rahman,.A. Munir, W. Hussain, and A. Sajid (2012) Prevalence and biochemical studies in cattle suffering from Babesiosis in disctrict Swabi, Khuber PukhtoonKhwa. Submitted for publication in PVJ
- Akhtar M., Y. Tipu, A. Aslam, A. A. Aujum, M. Younus, N. Khan., A. Sajid, W. Hussain, M. Aftab, K. Zeb (2012) Clinico –Pathological studies in cattle suffering from theileriosis in District Peshawar, Pakistan. Submitted for publication in PVJ
- M. Shahzad, M.R.Khan, M. Younus, , A.Aslam, A. A. Anjum S. Masood, S. Umer, and M. Ahmad (2012) Toxico pathological and haematological study in Japanese quail experimentally exposed to Ochra toxin A and Afla toxin B1. Submitted for publication in JAPS 12-0090
- Muti, R.K, I. Shezadi, A. A. Anjum, A.Aslam, S. Masood, M. S. Ahmad and A. U. Haq (2012) Histopathological study on streptococcal bronchopneumonia in sheep and goat. Submitted for publication in JAPS 12-0090
- Sikandar. A., A.H. Cheema, M. Younus, A. Aslam, M.A Zaman and T. Rehman (2012) Histopathological and Serological Studies on Paratuberculosis in Cattle and Buffaloes Pak Vet J, , 32(4): 547-551
- Islam, A., A.Aslam, , Z.I. Chaudhary, M.U.D. Ahmed, H.U. Rehman, K. Saeed and I. Ahmad (2011) Pathology of Mycoplasma gallisepticum in naturally infected broilers and its diagnosis through PCR. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 13: 835-837
- S. Shahnawaz, M.Ali, A. Aslam, R. Fatima, Z.I. Chaudhary, M. U. Hassan and F. Iqbal (2011) A study on the prevalence of a tick transmitted pathogen, Theileria annulata and hematological profile in cattle from southern Punjab (Pakistan). Para. Res. (online 2011, Mar 31
- Nadeem, A., Aslam, A., Z.I. Chaudhary, K. Ashraf, K. Saeed, N. Ahmad, I. Ahmad and H. Rehman. Indirect antibody technique based prevalence of Surra in equines (2011) Pak vet J, 31(2): 169-170
- Akhtar, R., Z.I. Chaudhry, Oliver, Y, Naz,S and A. Aslam (2010) A novel method for the isolation of peripheral neutrophils from bovines and human blood. Ind. J. Vet. Ani. Res. 1: 60-66
- Akhtar, R., Z.I. Chaudhry, A. R. Shakoori, M. Ahmad and A. Aslam (2010) Comparative efficacy of conventional diagnostic methods and evaluation of polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of bovine brucellosis. Vet. World 3 (2): 53-56
- Aslam, A., Z.I. Chaudhary, H. Rehman, A. R. Shakoori, K. Ashraf, N. Ahmad and A. Maqbool (2010). Comparative evaluation of parasitological, serological and DNA amplification methods for diagnosis of natural trypanosomal infection in equines. Pak. J. Zool.,42(4), 371-376
- Chaudhry, Z. I., M. Suleman, M. Younus and A. Aslam (2010) Molecular detection of Babesia bigemina and Babesia bovis in crossbred carrier cattle. Pak. J. Zool.,42(2),201-204
- Chattha, M.A, A. Aslam, Z. U. Rehman, J. A. Khan and M. Avais (2009). Prevalence of Toxocara canis infection in dogs and its effects on various blood parameters in Lahore (Pakistan). The journal of animal & plant sciences 19 (2) : 71-73
- Chaudhry, Z. I., Jahanzaib, A. Aslam and I. Ahmad (2008) Prevalence of Trypanosoma evansi in camels through polymerase chain reaction and haematocrit centrifugation technique in Punjab (Pakistan). J. of Camel pract. Res. 15(2) : 183-185
- Naseem, M.T., S. Naseem, M. Younus, Z.I. Chaudhary, A. Ghafoor, A. Aslam and S. Akhter. (2005). Effect of potassium chloride and sodium bicarbonate supplementation on thermo tolerance of broilers exposed to heat stress. Int. J. Poultry Sci. 4(11): 891-895.
- Aslam, A., A. Jamal, S.A.Khan, H. Rehman and G. Saleem(2005).Effect of stress following vaccination (Avinew) against Newcastle disease in broilers. J.Anim. Pl.Sci. 15(3-4): 56-59.
- Anwar, B., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam. A. Maqbool and K.A. Khan, (2004). Effect of ascorbic acid and acetylsalicylic acid supplementation on performance of broiler chicks exposed to heat stress. Pakistan Vet. J., 24(03): 109-112.
- Shah, M. S., S. A. Khan, A. Aslam, A. Maqbool and K.A. Khan, (2004). Effect of ascorbic acid and acetylsalicylic acid supplementation on performance of broiler chicks exposed to heat stress. Pakistan Vet. J., 24(03):125-128.
- Khan, M. S., S. A. Khan Z. I. Chaudhry, M. N. Khan, A. Aslam, K. Ashraf, R. M. Ayyub and M. F. Rai (2004) Mercury intoxication in Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella). Pakistan Vet. J., 24(1):33-38.
- Khan, K. A., S. A. Khan, A. Aslam, M. Rabbani and M. Y. Tipu (2004). Factors contributing to yolk retention in poultry. A review. Pakistan Vet. J., 24(01): 46-51.
- Hussain, M. I., S. A. Khan, Z.I. Chaudhry , A. Aslam, K. Ashraf and M. F. Rai (2004).effect of organic and inorganic selenium with and without vitamin E on immune system of broilers. Pakistan Vet. J., 24(1): 1-4.
- Mushtaq, F., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam, K. Saeed, G. Saleem and H. Mushtaq(2003). Effects of immunostimulants on broilers suffering from Infectious Bursal disease. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(01):36-40.
- Aslam, A., A.Nizami, S.A.Khan, K.Ashraf and M.Y .Tipu (2003).Management of vaccinal (Nobilis Gumboro D-78) stress in broiler chicks. Sci.Int.,15(1):65-69.
- Khan, S.A., S.M Subtain, A. Aslam, K. Muhammad and K.A. Khan, (2003).Effect of post vaccination medication on layer chicks vaccinated with Gumboro vaccine Nobilis D-78. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(04): 192-196.
- Ayyub, R. M., A. Aslam, S. A. Khan, and M.A. Munir (2003). Comparative immunopathological and immunosuppressive effects of three different Gumboro vaccine strains against Newcastle disease vaccination in broilers. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(4): 181-186.
- Rai, M. F., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam, K. Saeed, K. A. Khan and M. S. Shah (2002). Effect of experimental yolk sac infection with staphylococcus aureus on immune status of broilers. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(2): 84-91.
- Salam, R, A. Aslam, S.A. Khan, K. Saeed (202). A study of different routes of Newcastle disease vaccination on immune organs in poultry. Pakistan Vet. J., 23(2): 78-83.
- Khan, K. A., S.A. Khan, S. Hamid, A. Aslam and M. Rabbani, (2002). A study on the pathogenesis of yolk retention in broiler chicks. Pakistan Vet. J., 22(04): 175-180.
- Ali, A., A. Aslam, S. A. Khan, H. A. Hashmi and K. A. Khan (2002). Stress management following vaccination against coccidiosis in broilers. Pakistan Vet. J., 22(4): 192-196.
- Saleem. G., S. A. Khan, A. Aslam and Sameera Akhtar (2002) Studies on stress induced effects in broilers following vaccination (HYDRO-POULTRY) against Hydropericardium Syndrome. Sci. Int. Lahore, 14(1), 55-58.
- Aslam, A., S.A. Khan, H. Rehman and M. Y. Tipu (2002) Study on various mineral levels in broiler chicks affected with leg deformities. Sci. Int., 14(4): 325-328.
- Aslam, A., S. I. Syed, S. A. Khan, G. Saleem and S. Akhtar (2002) Studies on stress induced effects in broilers following vaccination (Nobilis Mac-Clone 30) against infectious bronchitis and Newcastle disease. Sci. Int., 15(4): 365-368.
- Tipu, M.Y., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam, and M. Ashraf (2001) A study on stress induced effects after vaccination (ANGAVAC) against Hydropericardium syndrome in broilers. Sci. Int., 13(4), 343-346.
- Rasheed, I., S.A. Khan, A. Aslam, H. Rehman and M.Y. Tipu (2000) Management of vaccination stress in broiler chicken following vaccination (BUR-706) against Infectious Bursal Disease. Sci. Int., 12(4), 365-370
- Zafar. I. C.,, B. Zahid,A. Aslam,T. Yaqub , N. Sabir, N., Mukhtar (2013) Detection of Mycobacterium avium subsp. Paratuberculosis in fecal samples of cattle and buffaloes from Lahore (Pakistan) by acid fast staining, fecal culture and PCR amplification PPC017
- Zahid. B., M. R.Khan., S. Alam, A.Aslam, T. Yaqub, N. Mukhtar., A. Ahmad and M. Younus (2013) Comparative efficacy of two immunostimulants on the growth performance and antibody response against IBD virus in broiler chickens sumitted for publication in buffalo conference. March 2013
- Khan. M. R., M. Shahzad, M. Younus, , A.Aslam, S. Masood, K. Ashraf., and S. Umar, (2011) Toxico pathological and haematological study in Japanese quail experimentally exposed to Ochra toxin A and Afla toxin B1. Published on 31st December 2011 in 3rd Mediterranean Poultry submit of WPSA (3rd MPS) and the 6th international poultry conference (6th IPC) Porto-Marina, Alexandria, Egypt. (online proceedings)
- Zahid. B., M. R.Khan., M. Shahzad, M. Younus, A.Aslam, Z. I. Chaudhry, A. Z. Durrani., S. Alam and N. Sabir (2011) Effect of livol (herbal supplement) on the growth performance and antibody response against infectious bursal disease virus in broiler chicks. Published on 31st December 2011 in 3rd Mediterranean Poultry submit of WPSA (3rd MPS) and the 6th international poultry conference (6th IPC) Porto-Marina, Alexandria, Egypt. (online proceedings)
- Zahid. B., M. R. Khan., M. Shahzad, T. Yaqub., S. Alam, A.Aslam, H. R Rehman, and N. Mukhtar (2011) Effect of immunomodulators on antibody titer against infectious bursal disease vaccine in broiler chicks. Published on 31st December 2011 in 3rd Mediterranean Poultry submit of WPSA (3rd MPS) and the 6th international poultry conference (6th IPC) Porto-Marina, Alexandria, Egypt. (online proceedings)
- Aslam, A (2011) Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases Through Molecular Techniques. Resource person in Workshop on Molecular Diagnostics. 11-12 January.
- Aslam, A (2011) One day National Necropsy Workshop, September, 2011.
- I. Mushtaq and A. Aslam (2011) Effect of sodium hypochlorite on hemotology, histology and liver functions of broilers. National seminar and workshop on environmental toxicology and health. 8-9 March pp: 33.
- Aslam, A., and G, Mustafa (2010) Infectious laryngeotracheitis. Proceeding of national poultry and food expo 2010. 24-25 September, pp: 40-41.
- Aslam, A (2010) Mycotoxicosis. Proceeding of national poultry and food expo 2010. 24-25 September, pp: 45-46.
- Aslam, A (2010) Centrifugation. Resource Person in Postgraduate Student Orientation Program. 28 September- 8 October.
- Aslam, A (2008) Education for Wildlife Sustainability. Proceeding in the dialogue and debate at the conference including training in GIS and natural photography at UVAS, Lahore, 30-31 January.
- Arshad, M., K. Ashraf and A. Aslam (2008) A study on the prevalence and control of mange/mites infestation in equines. Proc. Int. livestock & poultry congress, Lahore, Pakistan, 22-23 April, pp 78.
- Aslam, A (2007) Necropsy Practice and its Vetrolegal Implementation in Animals. Resource Person in workshop at UVAS, 25-30 June.
- Aslam, A (2006) Solving problems of freshwater fish farming in Pakistan. A workshop at UVAS, Lahore, 27-28 November
- Aslam, A (2006) Training on Bechman Coulter Hematology Analyzer AcT Diff at Department of Pathology, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, 18 January.
- Khan, K. A, S. A. Khan, S. Hamid, A. Aslam and M. Rabbani (2005) A study on the pathogenesis of yolk retention in broiler chicks. Proc. World Veterinary Poultry Congress, Istanbul, Turkey, August 22nd-26th, pp 352.
- Aslam, A (2004) The safety measures in the use of radiation in Agriculture and biology. Annual training course held at nuclear institute for Agriculture and biology (NIAB), Faisalabad, 20th -24th December.
- Aslam, A., A.U. Akhtar, S.A. Khan, K. Saeed and A. Jamal (2004) A study on prevalence of Fascioliasis its effects on blood parameters and liver histopathology of sheep and goats in district Dera Ismail Khan. Proc. PARACON. May 29,pp. 23.
- Aslam, A., A. Ali, H.A. Hashmi, S.H. Rizvi, and K. Ashraf (2004) Detection of Stress following vaccination (Eimeria Vaccine) against Coccidiosis in broilers. Proc. PARACON. May 29, pp.
- Qazi, K.N., H. Rehman, M. Rabbani, N. Ahmad and A. Aslam (1999). Impact of mastitis in livestock production Proc. PASF/PVMA Agro-Livestock Conf. pp. 116 March 20-21.
- Aslam. A., Y.H. Khera, S.A. Khan, N. Ahmad, H. Rehman and K. Ashraf (1999). Comparative study on the incidence and pathology of morbid conditions of uterus and cervix of taddy and local non-descriptive goats. Proc. 19th Cong. Zool, April 19-21st pp.151.
- Rehman, M., S.A. Khan, J. Rashid , A. Aslam and M. A. Sheikh (1999) Effect of two anticoccidial with and without supplementation of vitamins on some liver and kidney functions of broiler chickens. Proc. 119th cong. Zool. April 19-21st pp. 158-59
- Baigh, M.N., J. Rashid, M. Afzal, K.M. Chaudhry and A. Aslam. (1998). Pathological effects of aflatoxicosis on growth traits in broiler chicken. Abstract published in proceedings of Second Pan commonwealth Veterinary conference on Animal Health and Production, in Rural Areas. Pp.1244/179,22nd-27th February, 1998 Bangalore, India.
- Chaudhry, K.M, M.A. Muneer, A. Aslam, J. Rashid and M.O. Omer (1998).Effect of Amprolium on the immune response of Broiler chickens. Abstract published in proceedings, International Seminar on Microbial diseases of Livestock and Poultry, pp.30.
- Aslam, A., S.A. Khan and A. Raza (1995). Study on various mineral levels and pathology of visceral organs of broiler chickens affected with leg deformities. Abstract published in proceedings of National Symposium on role of Veterinary Pathologists in Livestock and Poultry Production, pp.69.
- “Determination of the effects of multiple viral infections in avian hosts”.(submitted to HEC for approval)
- “Study of how multiple viruses compete for cellular binding, entry and replication in the respiratory tract of chickens to cause disease”. (submitted to HEC for approval)
|Prof. Dr. Asim Aslam